Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Favorite Trout Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Regulator (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=13732)

Don Johnson 12-08-2003 09:02 PM

The Regulator

1 Attachment(s)
OK, for those that want to keep their emerging chironomid patterns (or other nymphs for that matter) suspended just below the surface, I offer The Regulator.

It was partly inspired by a Parasol Shuttlecock Buzzer of British lore and named for me by a good friend as it really does regulate where the fly fishes in the water column. Subsequent Regulator Posts have been constructed with closed-cell foam and float better without dressing.

Hook: Daiichi 1120 or 1130
Body: Tying thread (Gudebrod 6/0), color to suit
Rib: Fine copper wire
Thorax: Peacock's herl or dubbing
Suspension system: custom-furled Regulator Post

If you want to suspend the fly more than three inches subsurface, it's best to tie the fly in reverse (thorax at the bend of the hook) and have the Regulator Post tied in as a "tail", of sorts. Doing so will prevent fouling of the Post with the leader.

SDHflyfisher 12-08-2003 09:27 PM

neat concept

BigDave 12-09-2003 12:39 PM

Nice,

Couple of quesitons:

What are you using for the regulator post.

Do you tie the tippet to the eye of the hook or is there a loop
at the end of the regulator post.

Is that just a tuft of antron for a strike indicator at the tip?

Thanks.

Don Johnson 12-09-2003 02:11 PM

The Post

That particular Regulator Post is made of 10# furled monofilament leader material. The "indicator" part of the post is orange poly-yarn. Closed cell foam works better, in my experience, but the poly is ok if it has been treated with Watershed or similar product.

The fly is tied up until the thorax then the post is tied on. The thorax is then built up over the "butt" of the Regulator Post. The thread is advanced and the fly is finished just behind the eye by lifting the post out of the way.

The fly is tied to the tippet at the hook-eye. The only thing the Regulator Post does is suspend the fly in the water column.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brad 12-09-2003 04:49 PM

Dandelion midge

1 Attachment(s)
Took a fish on Spinney Mile with this suspender midge this year. Same idea only just under the surface.

Brad

SDHflyfisher 12-09-2003 04:55 PM

just make the extension longer

Don Johnson 12-09-2003 05:39 PM

the dilemma

The concept central to that particular pattern, that being the post, is exactly why I expended the effort with the Regulator Post. The post of the Dandelion pattern, or whatever it's called (I've heard it called a few different names), is opaque and therefore has to be more evident to the fish. The Regulator Post might not be totally invisible but is at least a lot less evident under the surface. The post on the Parasol Shuttlecock Buzzer, which was what I was trying to replicate in a more sensible fashion, had the "post" being made of the quills of CDC feathers covered with tying thread then cemented. The result was a size 18 chironomid that was about 2.5 inches long. I was in hopes I could improve on that by at least making the post a little less visible.