Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How About This One... (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=13700)

Feiger 12-06-2003 10:54 AM

How About This One...

1 Attachment(s)
Appreciate everyone's very helpful comments and complements. worked up another example of "to be named later" last night, and am posting. Hopefully this covers some of the good points people pointed out on improvement!!! thanks!!! Recipe will be out next week....
:)

roballen 12-06-2003 11:25 AM

very beautiful!!!! yet simplistic.. I'd be interested to see one with the guiene ( hate trying to spell that) wrapped as a collar instead of a throat

flytyer 12-06-2003 09:28 PM

YEAH BABY!!!

fredaevans 12-06-2003 09:28 PM

This could be a Rogue Killer!!

:D :D

sean 12-06-2003 09:33 PM

Very nice!

Salar-1 12-07-2003 12:24 PM

VERY nicely tyed !!
In your previous thread, Flytyer mentioned how hard it is to find GOOD GP crest .IF you ever do find a head where the crestfeather are "straight ' howver you do find they are nice and dense,Just soak the individual feathers in ice water for a few hours and then lay them on a smooth surface (glass) until dry .Hold them by the stem and give the the tip a flick with the other hand and voila !!! curved AND cascading GP crest !
Cheers
Brian

1more cast 12-08-2003 10:42 PM

Very Nice!!

flytyer 12-09-2003 08:53 PM

Salar-1,

It wasn't me you mentioned good G.P. crest is hard to find. In fact, nearly all G.P. crests need to be soaked and placed on either a glass or hard plastic surface until dried to remove curling or bending of the stem that occurs in shipping and packaging. Any temperature water will do; but do remember to pull the individual crest feathers off the full crest before putting them in the soak. You need to make sure that you thoroughly saturate the crest feathers.

And an awful lot of crest feathers need to be washed to remove the dirt and bird oils that are on them. This is done during the soad by adding Synthrapol (my favorite) or clear dishwashing liquid or Woolite to the soak water and letting them soak for a few hours. Don't forget to rinse them to remove the soap or detergent before placing them on the glass to dry.

Another very useful "trick" for tying G.P crest feathers is to nick the feather with your thimb nail to keep the crest feather in the contour of the wing.

highlander2 12-10-2003 12:46 AM

I think Russ pretty much said it all as far as crest prep goes. I might add that a wine bottle, single malt or something of that sort can be used to form crests to the desired curve while in the drying process. Organising them in small clear plastic boxes from large to small can really help as well when your trying to find that perfect crest for the fly your tying.

Brian