Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   un-named spey (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=12804)

highlander2 09-28-2003 10:27 PM

un-named spey

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL220/...7/34696234.jpg
Just playing around with my new digital cam, grabbed aspey from the winter box. Never could come up with a name as I don't name most of them. This fly has taken fish in the Sauk & Skagit when the waters low and cold. I would not really consider this a spey fly it is more of a cross over pattern.

Brian

speybum 09-28-2003 10:32 PM

Brian

I checked my fly box and I do not have one.

I guess I will just have to check yours.

OOPs I forgot about Bogie

Good to see you are back.

Aaron:smokin:

fredaevans 09-28-2003 10:36 PM

Very Cool!!

That looks like a keeper for winter fishing.
fae

pastortd 09-28-2003 10:46 PM

Re: un-named spey

Quote:

Originally posted by highlander2
I would not really consider this a spey fly
Well, why not? It's a great spey fly! Very nicely tied as well!

highlander2 09-28-2003 11:15 PM

un-named spey

Pastordt

Then a spey fly it is! I really think its all a matter of interpretation any way. I call them cross over patterns because of the atlantic salmon influences in the fly, its something I have been playing around with for a couple of years now after being inspired by Marc LeBlanc from Quebec. Once I get this digital thing down I hope to be able to post the whole series.

Thanks, Brian

Igor 09-29-2003 08:52 AM

Well Done!

Yo Brian,

I'm certainly no expert flytyer or critic but your post sure looks like a Spey fly to me. Nicely dressed bit o' iron, too!

I'm also a great admirer of Marc LeBlanc.

BTW - what brand-name (and specific color) of thread did you use to finish your head? Or did you use a colored varnish or laquer?

Again, well done!

Igor

wrke 09-29-2003 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those fans of Marc, here's one of his latest (although tied by me). It's called soft trigger. Wings are Dee style. I use turkey in large sizes, grouse tail feathers in small.
Bill

highlander2 09-29-2003 08:09 PM

Igor

The thread I used to finish the head is a light blue Danvilles 8/0. I have not really got into using different colored head cement's as of yet but its something I would like to experiment with in the future.

Thanks, Brian

highlander2 09-29-2003 08:18 PM

Bill

That is a sweet fly! Very nicely tied as well, sort of a dee style dressing. It sounds like quite a few of us respect the talents of Marc, he is a tier thats not afraid to blend styles and come up with something new and creative.

Brian

flytyer 09-29-2003 08:33 PM

Brian,

Lovely fly.

I also like a red and blue fly in clear, cold water. (see the Cop's Lights thread for the red and blue spey I have been using for several years.) Another variation of this fly I would tie and use is green and blue done by simply using fl. green wherever you have used red. Also, a fl. yellow and green (use fl. yellow instead of red and green instead of blue) or fl. yellow (instead of red) and blue are effective in glacial water.

Keep using the colored threads instead of colored cement (unless you use black cement to finish the head on a full-dressed featherwing) because it provides a more subtle finish to the fly. And there are far more colors available in thread than in colored cement as well.

Does Bogie lay at your feet when you tie, or does she like to get into your materials?

wrke,

This is also a lovely fly that looks like it would be a winner in the low water of late summer and early fall.

highlander2 09-29-2003 11:44 PM

Flytyer

I agree on using the colors of the thread for finishing the heads, you can get pretty creative with this if you want to by mixing colors which can be a lot of fun. As for Bogie the Newf she pretty much lays by my feet when I tie, but has been known to grab things like whole pheasant skins and slobber all over them. But its the cats that you have to watch out for they are far more dangerous they seem to be attracted to those pretty little feathers that cost a fortune, or that spey fly in which you just set the perfect bronze mallard wing!

Brian

flytyer 09-30-2003 02:15 PM

Brian,

I had to teach my Golden Retriever to leave the bird skins and necks alone. Cleaning dog slobber from them is not the most fun thing to do! Using colored thread also allows you to split the thread a-la Glasso and use the split thread as its own ready made dubbing loop. This little trick also works with floss and makes for a neater, tighter body that carries more color than a dubbing loop.