Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Propwash (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Engine Choice (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=12459)

longrod 08-30-2003 07:08 PM

Engine Choice

I have finally reached the most expensive part of building my boat - Engine choice.
I am torn between three engines.
All are 25 horse power.
A Merc Bigfoot 4 stroke, Tohatsu 4stroke and a johnson 2 stroke.
Tohatsu is the lightest of the 2 4strokes Mercury has a better gear ratio and service availability, The Johnson 2 stroke is rock solid but has no assisted tilt mechanism.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Boat will have to be launched in the spring.
++++

Eddie 08-31-2003 09:28 AM

I think that Yamaha has the best reputation/re-sale. The make the top end of the Merc. four strokes.
Honda should also be considered.
Some thing to consider is if the valves are in a pocket in the cylander head. his protects them if the timing belt skips. I think Hondas and Yamahas are.
A poster on another site had MAJOR problems when he hit a rock.

half-pounder 09-01-2003 10:14 AM

Unless weight is a big consideration, consider a Honda. Untouchable quality, dependability and durability.

kjackson 09-01-2003 01:19 PM

Longrod-- Unless I'm mistaken, you're building a Bateau.com OD 16, right?

In such a light boat, I don't think you'd be happy with the Merc Bigfoot, which is designed for pontoon boats and heavily loaded craft. I expect you would be disappointed in the top end speed, and probably speed through the range as well.

If the Johnson is an older motor, pre-Bombardier days, I would be careful as the OMC bankruptcy was a result, in part, or quality issues with their engines. I think Bombardier is now making replacement parts on a limited basis, but if something goes wrong, then you might be stuck with a motor that can't be repaired. If it's a new motor, then it should be a good one, except for the tilt business. Trim-and-tilt is great for fine-tuning motor performance and running in shallow stuff, but if the motor has a shallow-water drive option, and you do most of your running in deep water, a non-trim and tilt engine might be a good choice.

I have a lot of respect for Tohatsu motors after running one for six months. A lot of work boats in this area are now running Tohatsu OBs, for whatever that's worth (it might just mean that they're inexpensive). For service concerns, you have the added benefit of getting service from Nissan OB dealers since the motors are basically identical.

I've run Yamahas and I like that brand, but they cost more. I've run Suzukis, and I like those motors as well. Honda has a pretty good reputation, but there were a few years in the early '90s when I heard quality complaints against some of their kicker motors.

My .02.

Keith

Moonlight 09-01-2003 09:09 PM

My .02...

Longrod, I have been around a fair number of outboards (and inboards) I have been very pleased with the time I have spent with the Honda 4 strokes, the quiet is the key for me. If you buy the two stroke Johnson be sure to wear hearing protection as the noise is enough to cause a "defecit" in your hearing equal to George Bush's.
Seriously the better fuel economy and quietude , not to mention better " pick up and deleivery" make the Honda your best choice even if it cost a bit more it is worth each and every dollar.

Capt. Mel Simpson 09-03-2003 04:47 PM

Outboard motors

As a guide these are things I consider when buying a new motor:

1. I can get a Mercury for very little $$, but I have to sell it every year because of their poor warranty. Yamaha costs more but gives me a 3 year warranty and will last me 5 years, about 2500 hours. So Yamaha is actually cheaper.

2. Service and maintenance is very important, so make sure there are dealers close buy that have parts when and where you need them.

3. To me one of the most important things to consider is a motors' re-sale value and used Yamahas are always in great demand.

4. Be sure you consider and compare the weight, if you pole in shallow water like I do it makes a huge difference.

5. Try to buy the smallest motor you can get away with, almost all the guides I know wish they had a smaller motor.

Good Luck, Mel

longrod 09-04-2003 09:02 PM

Honda and Yamaha outboards

All,
To be fair I will give Honda and Yamaha another look and put price on the back burner for the time being. I know several people who own each and will talk to them.
Thankyou,
++++

Steelheader69 09-05-2003 12:59 AM

Go Yamaha!!!!!!!!!

I've heard, and had, nothing but good things with Yamaha's. My Dad has an 8hp Yamaha, and it's the best kicker I've ever used. Well worth every cent he paid. I've also run a few of my friends Yamaha Jet pumps. MAN, those are nice. I grew up running merc or evinrude pumps. Beat them hands down (even the newer ones I've used). I like the Honda's too, but Yamaha for this kid next sled (hopefully VERY soon)

Striper 09-13-2003 08:26 PM

Honda,Honda,Honda!!!!! I have 2 30 hp. and 130 hp. can't beat the reliability and the economy.....PERIOD! Never had a problem with either of them and the 30 is 8-9 years old. The 130 has over 700hrs. on it with no issues. Cost a bit more but will pay for itself in the first season. The 30 I used to carry 2 six gallon gas cans and never dipped into the second one. Could get 80 mi. or more on just 6 gals. hard to beat.

Mike M.

half-pounder 09-13-2003 10:48 PM

Striper's so right. I forgot to add fuel economy to the list of superlatives on my earlier post.

Everything else being equal, my Honda's fuel consumption is almost half that of it's Evinrude predecessor.

bcasey 09-14-2003 12:31 PM

Yahama has NO EQUAL, imho!