Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Board Steward Program (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1235)

juro 12-08-2000 05:37 PM

Board Steward Program

Any interest in taking turns being board stewards? The idea is to let people run the board the way they would like to for a period of time... a couple of weeks, a month, who knows. Might mix things up a little. We could vote on Steward of the year, or do it just for fun.

Al helped me get a voting page running, so we could vote on stuff. I know I will be putting the logo options for the hat up for vote very soon.

Thoughts? Volunteers?

Hawkeye 12-09-2000 01:34 PM

RE:Board Steward Program

Juro,

I really don't know what is involved but I do know I don't have any skills or knowledge in running a board. That being said if it would ease some of your burden and I am capable of learning what is needed I would be happy to try my hand.

juro 12-09-2000 09:15 PM

Gregg -

Well, I was thinking that we could all take turns looking after a board for a short time; making sure it stays interesting, posting something on slow days, being like a contributing editor to a magazine, keeping a log on the fire and putting out sparks. The steward would look after the board for a term before passing it on to another member. There are some really interesting people in this community. Passing the torch might help us get to know each other a little better until spring comes!

Just an idea, if anyone's interested reply and we'll put you in queue. Meanwhile I nominate Gregg (the fishmagnet hawkeye rockclimber dude) for steward of any board he chooses, for whatever term he is comfortable with.

As far as the recent contribution drive goes - I hope it's always evident that a contribution of effort is worth every bit as much as a contribution of funds. This is a great way to give to the cause!

isoh 12-11-2000 08:34 PM

Juro and I just came up with a title that is a little more accurate, "Master of Ceremonies."

This would be someone who plays party host -- you know, makes people feel welcome, gets them a virtual drink, etc. The role is non-technical in nature -- I think the only prerequesite is that you don't mind typing semi-lengthy responses.

There are some real interesting personalities who join in every now and then. We want to make sure they continue doing so.

Keeping in mind that we are a global forum, some duties might include:

-- starting up interesting threads
-- finding facts and information in response to requests
-- facilitating exchange and leveraging membership talents to help individuals in need

These are all things many of you do already. Terry, Powers, Aaron, Nate, Doug B., BRoche, FishHawk, Hawkeye, GregO and countless others have, at various times, done this very well and each in their own way. What we're asking is that someone take on the responsibility of keeping it going for a month at a time. You'll get to express your own view of how we should interact with the virtual fly fishing community and at the same time allow Juro to devote some time to family and work.

So what say you? Has anyone out there taken enough from this site to step up to the challenge of passing it along to others, to being emcee for a month? Perhaps we should limit this at first to a single board? Hawkeye, I can't think of anyone better suited to representing the World Wide Flyfishing discussion. Are you game?

Hawkeye 12-13-2000 09:32 AM

The more I think about this the more I think it is a great idea. It will encourage different personalities to take a bit of a more active role as the responsibility is passed along. As a result we will get to know each other better and we will be adding a little "new spice" to an already well seasoned board.

I gladly accept the nomination as emcee for the World Wide Flyfishing Discussion. I'd like to start January 2nd and if the standard "term of office" is going to be one month I'll go to February 2nd. So barring any recounts or appeals to the Supreme Court I think we are ready to take this new idea out for it's first trial run.

Thanks for the opportunity - I'm thinking it will be a lot of fun.