Testing the Frog
Remember my experimental frog slider?
Tonight after work I finally did a little more testing with this fly on my favorite stretch of the Housatonic River. I used it for about an hour and caught a 17" largemouth and 24" pike. I was casting to the bank and retrieving quickly so the fly made a lot of commotion. Both fish hammered the fly after 3 or 4 "splooshes" and both fish went airborne on the strike :whoa: . The pike had its teeth clamped around the entire fly but the 20# flouro leader held just fine and I was able to land and release the fish. The fly even seemed to be relatively unscathed.
The fly casted quite well on my 7wt rod (8wt line). It also was relatively weedless. It did pick up green slime and sometimes got weeds on the hook, but on several occasions I casted the fly into the brush along the bank and was able to pull it free gently enough so it dropped straight down.
Based upon the results of this test, I have come to the conclusion that this fly requires further testing :hehe:
Keep on testing !
The best patterns are the ones you have confidence in and that you create and catch fish with!
Looking forward to a definitive recipe!
I wish I could find some pike that won't bite through 20lb fluoro.....I've had them consistently biting through 30lb fluoro and forcing me to use Tyger Wire.
Glad to hear the pattern is receiving some piscatorial confirmation. :)
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Flyfishingforum.com (All Rights Reserved)