Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anything Happening down South? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=12046)

Adrian 07-24-2003 06:32 PM

Anything Happening down South?

Just wondering if there are any reports out there from recent (early spring/summer) trips?

I am headed down to an old friends new vacation setup on Exuma in November - he's also planing to build a Bonefish Lodge :D I have already aksed him if he's looking for a manager :smokin: and will tap him for a sponsorship too.

Apparently they've had their share of bad weather in their part of the Bahamas this spring/summer. He has had some very large single bones on the beach in front of his property however. No big schools - just the occaisional 8 - 10 pounder looking for the perfect presentation. I can't wait!!

juro 07-24-2003 09:20 PM

Please let him know I will offer my web design services for barter. I don't ask much, just a place to rest my head between photo shoots for the site each winter :smokin:

DFix 07-25-2003 08:16 AM

Adrian - this is wicked selfish, because it conjures up ideas of board membership patronage and discount trip packages and all that other stuff. :smokin:

Adrian 07-25-2003 10:20 AM

Not wishing to cross any chickens before they hatch ahead of counting my bridges before I get to them in a mixed metaphorically manner of speaking :eyecrazy: but yes :smokin:

johnp 07-25-2003 11:57 AM

Adrian,
My wife and I made the usual early march pilgrimage this year.
The fishing was really poor the first 4 days. Partially due to the fact there was a lot of water so the fish were spending a long time up in the mangroves. Also a bit more windy than normal I believe and I actual got rained on 2 days in a row which is first for me there.It did pick up a bit on the last 3 but no real block buster days. Only saw a couple large schools of fish in the 1-4 range and had a few shots at fish in the 8-10 range. Almost all my fishing was done on the mosstwon side. Did see a huge permit off mosstown but he was cruising out faster than we could get in. Not too much different on the island that I saw. There is a new bar next to the Coconut cove at Charlie Pfluegers cottages and there were visably more workers on the island for the 4 seasons that is still perpetually behind in completion. That to me will be my main concern when and if ever it finishes, I have a feeling it will put a lot more pressure on the fishery and there may be alot more new boats/guides on the water trying to accommodate the people trying to link a day or 2 fishing with the golf, all just speculation on my part of course.
We have not decided if we are going there next year or not, I have been thinking of trip to Belize just to try something different.
Anyway I am sure your November trip will be awesome and a nice newly run lodge there may be something to look forward to.
JohnP