Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's the current situation? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=11982)

juro 07-19-2003 06:58 AM

What's the current situation?

I may be in town for business early August... thinking of doing the kicker boat thing at Sekiu for some saltchuck fun with a fly. Anyone been out there lately?

Leland Miyawaki 07-19-2003 09:04 AM

I haven't been paying much attention. Concentrating on the local scene. Will look into Sekiu.

Leland.

juro 07-19-2003 09:19 AM

Would it be too early to do a hooknose clave? My September is locking up fast.

Doublespey 07-19-2003 02:49 PM

OK with me

I've already heard of Coho showing up around Neah. I'm guessing a few are already around Seiku as well.

I think we'd get a pretty good turnout in early August .

How about it, Clavers??? Sparky? Nate? Sean?

sean 07-19-2003 03:41 PM

Yep I have heard they are on the way and the numbers of coho being caught ny those looking for chinook sound to be steadily increasing. We may not find the hooknoses that early but lots of 5-8 pounders eager to take poppers.

I may be able to get away for a day. Just set a date and I will see if I can fit it in my schedule.

-sean

D3Smartie 07-19-2003 04:35 PM

I just got back from sekiu and there are a lot of silvers and some pinks out there. I did really well on a tube fly of my own design (pink/white) and on another tube baitfish pattern.
There were even salmon crashing bait right at the end of the breakwall leaving olsons.
Not a lot of size to the fish yet but I did get one nice coho around 10 pounds.

juro 07-19-2003 05:20 PM

Cool! Maybe it would be appropriate to do a little chinook research while there, it being the prime of the king migration and all in August. I'll bring a deep-probe sinking head just in case, maybe some LC-13 or something.

Also will bring one of the beach rods, although the line weight will be striper-sized until the pacific series is ready, it will still be a kick to try some beach coho with the big stick somewhere out on the straits.

On the sweetwater side, I can't wait to field test the 13' 7/8wt Custom (1307 SP) over stealthy summer runs on the OP streams!

D3Smartie 07-19-2003 08:20 PM

i was also out at neah bay fishing a week ago and hooked 3 Kings on flies. I was using strictly a chart/white clouser out there but the fish at sekiu didnt want that at all.
the kings at neah were out in the ocean and not very deep, maybe 15 feet. I was using my type VI head to get down.

NrthFrk16 07-20-2003 02:46 AM

Juro-
Early August would work for me. The second you get the dates nailed down let me know, so I can get the days off from work.

btw-I am having a great time 'testing' the 1307 and she is hooking fish! ;)

juro 07-21-2003 09:52 PM

I CANNOT WAIT to fish that sweet 1307 custom for summer runs on the cascade streams, not to mention the OP and Columbia tribs as well!

I will nail down a date ASAP, but must make some choices - can't afford Gaspe', Coho clave, Denver Retailer Show (CND Booth), Nova Scotia, BC, then Aruba all in the next several months! (even if I am willing to sleep in my truck whenever possible!).

I'll let you guys know as soon as I can firm up my plans.

NrthFrk16 07-21-2003 10:24 PM

Juro-
The more I fish the 1307, the more I love it...it is having no problem at all throwing 80+' of a 7/8 Long Delta with XSuper Fast Sinking Polyleaders. And today I did have her bent to the cork on a big chromer that sawed me off the rocks! :(

BTW-If you need rides and places to stay and such when you are out, let me know. I am more then willing to do whatever I can!

Leland Miyawaki 07-22-2003 08:01 PM

Hey Sparky, how's come your 1307 catches fish and mine doesn't.

Geez, man, what gives? They look the same.

Leland.

Doublespey 07-22-2003 08:47 PM

Leland, yours should be Especially Lucky

seeing as how Sparky broke it in for you. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Seriously tho, it's not really the rod - have Ryan show you the hot fly he's been hooking those fish on. :D

The Coho are at Seiku and I'm READY for some popper action!

DS

NrthFrk16 07-23-2003 01:22 AM

Leland-
As Brian said, it is all in the fly (and skill ;) )!! :devil:

But I did fish a copy of the first one tonight (Mr. Fishy has the original in his mouth) and did not touch a fish...hopefully it was not that very fly that was lucky.

Bubba 07-27-2003 08:14 PM

Silvers

Just got back from Tofino on Monday. We got some nice fish , mostly bucktailing. Tony did get 1 on a cast clouser. The largest was 30"and fat, I estimate 10lb. Everyone at the lodge said it is shaping up to be a good year, lots of big silvers around already, and they should be on their way to Sekiu next.

Bob