Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Ocean Kings (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=11738)

D3Smartie 06-26-2003 10:43 PM

Ocean Kings

Does anybody have any good patterns that they would reccomend for Kings or silvers out in the Ocean? The gear guys are getting a lot fo them and say that most of the fish are at 15' down which is very do-able with a flyrod.
i am tying up some big baitfish patterns and a lot of tube flies.

juro 06-26-2003 11:06 PM

Herring, candlefish and small squid imitations, and of course Leland's Beach Popper all kick butt.

I like to tie herring flies on a tube to get the hook to the rear of the fly. Use mylar tubing to cover the nylon tube and dress over/under to get the profile. Search for page's bigeye baitfish, this is one of my favorite general construction methods but on a tube. I have a juvie pattern variation in the archives.

Candlefish on a 911s long shank hook or tube as well. Clouser style works great as an imitation as well.

Small squid are a natural on a tube to get the hook back to the legs while a long mantle is on the tube.

Ryan (Nfk16) showed me a great coho pattern a couple yrs back at Sekiu - tie mylar tubing around the outside of a narrow deceiver and unravel it so it dances as the fly is stripped. Man it works!

Go look in the archive there are a few flies in there. Set the options to look back all the way to the beginning.

Steelheader69 06-27-2003 01:44 AM

Well

It really depends on WHERE in the ocean you're fishing. Do you mean actually near the surf, or true OCEAN fishing? I know out away from shore, they do run really deep. We were catching most of ours (on bait that is) 40-80' down once you got a few miles out. Not many near the surface, too many dogfish up that high.

Now, near shore, then you hit from 10-30'. We never did much fly fishing that far in the salt. Normally more in salt flux/harbors. But when we did, we used simple bucktail streamers with LOTS of flashabou. Only difference I did, was I made mine with double hooks. Why? Because I've found, especially in the ocean using bait, that kings his in a variety of fashions. Some hit sideways and hook on the forward hook (mooching leaders), and sometimes they hooked up on the rear hook. So, I always tied hooks in tandem. I have actually hauled in kings in the 40-50# range in the salt that were hooked primarily on the front hook, and also have had them only get into the rear hook. I usually just like using something simple with some flash. I also prefer to dance them about too. Quick strip up, and let it free fall. Have enduced some nice hits that way.

D3Smartie 06-27-2003 11:03 PM

SH69... I am talking true ocean... 4+ miles out. We were just out at Neah bay with gear and catching kings in the top 15' of water. If they are that close to the surface I want to try with a fly. I am tying up some big tube flies with a lot of flash. I am also tying up a purple and yellow fly that works great for cutties and small BMs. Hopefully the big guys will eat it.
I am thinking that a type VI will get me down deep enough and I can troll with the flies if I can't locate a school to cast to. I dont think I will be deep enough to matter, but I have been tying in some of the glow in the dark flashabou.
Any experience with this???

juro- a beach popper for kings??? I have never got a big king on a surface fly, only small BMs.

Surf_Candy 07-01-2003 12:24 PM

Dave,
Missed you at the shop last weekend...but am going out this saturday with some of Leland's poppers - his last post got me way to excited about surface action.

For ocean kings any baitfish pattern will work. Important is to have a variety of sizes to match the size and coloration of the baitfish, a variety of lightly flashed to heavily flashed flies depending on time of day you are fishing.

Do a web seach for Barry Thornton - he has some fly patterns posted at a BC fishing site.

Good luck

Jim W

D3Smartie 07-03-2003 11:24 AM

has anybody been out at neah bay or way out in the ocean? i am hoping to go tonight but would like a report.

Surf_Candy 07-03-2003 12:42 PM

got a round about email report from Westport - king limits the past few days this guy was fishing - averaging over 20# each, a few guys spooled.....sounds like fun!

Jim

D3Smartie 07-06-2003 12:57 PM

well i just got back from Neah Bay and it was great. I was finally able to get some salmon on my fly rod. I even hooked a King but he broke me off. I was casting around bait schools with a chart/white clouser. I also was able to spot silvers tailing on top, get infront of them and make a cast with good results.
I also even saw a shark out there on the surface but was un able to make a cast at him because the salmon were keeping us busy.