Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   please, please, HELP !!! (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1160)

jasonbrown2 05-07-2000 12:45 PM

please, please, HELP !!!

please someone help me,
i just broke my fly rod at the section. the pice that broke is the male section that butts into the female section.

can someone please tell me how to fix my rod , desperatly.
incidently, my rod is the carbon fibre type, but the break seems to have splintered by about 2 inches up the top section.

please please help.

juro 05-07-2000 06:47 PM

RE:please, please, HELP !!!

Hi Jason -

I'll ask Smitty (Rod Builder's Workshop) and although I ain't no doctor the prognosis looks pretty bad. If the rod is splintered at the male ferrule for 2", the critical mating of the two parts will not work and thus the male part of the blank (and therefore it's parts) will need to be replaced. I've heard of emergency fixes but realistically, a splintered ferrule is best dealt with via replacement of the section or entire rod.

Is it a 2-pc / 3-pc / 4-pc?

Is it a warranted rod?

Tell us some details!

thanks,
Juro

dave 05-08-2000 07:14 AM

Juro's right - if the rod has a warranty you should take advantage of it and get a replacement. Otherwise, here is a repair method that may work:
1. Cut off the splintered end.
2. Mix up some epoxy and put it into the male end of the blank. Add enough to fill the blank in the ferrule.
3. Seal the end of the blank with tape.
4. Hold the rod vertically with the broken end downwards until the epoxy cures. This should leave you with broken end of the rod filled with an inch or two of cured epoxy.
5. Sand the end of the blank down enough to fit into the female ferrule. Use very fine sandpaper (400 grit???) and go very slowly.

This will be a real pain to do and may not work. Personally, I'd use this as an excuse to get a new rod. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tomd 05-09-2000 10:26 PM

Jason, you may be able to repair this(if not under warrenty) by using the spigot type ferrule. get the right size for the female end then grind down the other end till it fits into the cut off part of the male end. i would cut off as little as possible then buy some fiberglass sheeting(for bodywork or canoe repair) pull a single thread out and 1 drop of superglue to anchor it wind it around the blank till you get very close to the spigot tack down again(sparingly, you only need to hold it temporarily). coat with flexcoat and your good to go in a couple days. good luck, and let us know how you make out , and what method you use.

jasonbrown2 05-10-2000 12:47 PM

thanks for your advice & support guys.
ive managed to trim awat the excess carbon fiber & filled the cavity with epoxy resin up past the slinter.
the repair seems not so bad & seems to work & flex fine during testing.
ill be trying it out this weekend to see if it works.
once again, thanks for all your help.