Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Classic Atlantic Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Update on Gaspé Fishing (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=11482)

LadyAmherst 06-08-2003 01:44 PM

Update on Gaspé Fishing

Hi all,
Guess Mother Nature is on time this year. We are seeing fish in the lower pools of the York, Dartmouth and St-Jean...
Ran up the York this morning......... guess who I saw???
http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/topherjune8.jpg
Yes!! Topher!! Photo: York 6 (June 8, 2003)

Hope you all enjoy your fishing this season!!

Lady Amherst

Topher Browne 06-09-2003 03:01 PM

Fishing Report

Fished the last two days: landed a feisty hen of 12 pounds on Sector 6 of the York shortly after the above photo was taken; also landed a super strong, sea-liced 12 pound hen this morning on the Unlimited Sector of the York. Needed all of a 9141-4 to land her as she ran under a bridge and out the other side; no way to follow, so crank down the drag, hold on, and reel.

There a lot more fish around this year as compared to last. It`s looking like the run is on time. Water temps on upper York: 47 degrees; lower York: 49 degrees. Water high, but clear. It`s relatively straightforward to see the fish as long as you can find a good vantage point above the river.

Just in to town of Gaspé to change some money, grab a Tim`s coffee, and find a computer. Headed back out `till dark.

Tight lines, TB

juro 06-09-2003 04:32 PM

Awesome! Save a few biters for me... I am chompin' at the bit myself to get up there this summer. CND rods really need a good field test on the Gaspe'! :D

Topher Browne 06-17-2003 04:20 PM

The season is off to a cracking start. There are a LOT more fish around this year as opposed to last, particularly the two-year class of multi-sea winter fish of 12 pounds or so who went missing last season.

I averaged a fish a day on the York after a slow first couple of days. My buddy Brian S. from the Empire State was into big fish all week with a 32 pounder, a 28 pounder, and a few more in the high teens and low twenties. As usual, it was about being in the right time at the right place. Everyone who hooked up regularly in the high water did so on 13'-15' two-handed rods and usually with a big Magog Smelt or a Picasse.

Let's hope there are a lot more fish this year and they are not just early! The Atlantic Salmon Federation predicts another 20,000 MSW (Multi-Sea Winter) fish of North American origin will find their way home after the last of the Greenland commercial buyouts. Fingers crossed.

Salar-1 06-18-2003 06:28 AM

Topher
Just got back from the Matapedia.Sage 7136-4 WITH a hookkeeper :-O:tsk_tsk: :devil: Florescent Chartreuse flies seem to be the order of the day,along with big Black Bear Green Butts.BTW got a strong pull on a #4 Green Stonefly no less !!
Cheers
Brian

Topher Browne 06-18-2003 08:48 AM

Brian,

Well done. Sounds like the run on the Matapedia, with the exception of some Causapscal fish, is not yet in full force. If some of the earlier rivers are a barometer, it should be a solid year. I plan to give it a try next week and will use plenty of fluorescent green in my flies!

Best regards, TB

wrke 06-20-2003 06:03 AM

First day on the Petite yesterday yielded a bright 12 lb hen to a #6 Picasse.Not many fish in the river yet, but we're hopeful
bill

jcc_00 06-30-2003 06:23 AM

News

Hope to hear more good news soon about the runs in the rivers this year.

JR SPEY 06-30-2003 07:13 AM

The bad news is that it has been scorching hot up there. The York River reported a water temperature of 71 degrees F. late last week and the water levels were dropping. Since it's still June there is some concern. They need rain and cooler weather soon.

LadyAmherst 06-30-2003 01:11 PM

Hi All,
Yes fish are here!! Weather was very, very hot these past few days....Today, however, it's actually cold and looks like rain!! Yes Rain!!
We are seeing fish right up to the gate pools on all three Gaspé river (York, St-Jean and Dartmouth)
Waters levels have dropped....... and with this cool weather water temperatures should improve.
Small leaders, small flies and a nice presentation should do the work !!

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/releasing_13.jpg

Enjoy your fishing!!

jcc_00 07-01-2003 03:41 PM

#6 Picasse

Bill (Wrke)

Tell me about what a # 6 Picasse looks like. Sounds like the hit of the day or something from the dark and desperate depths of the fly box

wrke 07-01-2003 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JCC
Here's a #1 single and this fish I mentioned was on a 6 double, but you'll get the idea. The fly was devised by the Gaspé master Marc LeBlanc. I've recently seen variations that I don't like (silver pheasant is used as cheeks). I use the pheasant (as the original) as hackled one turn. I've used the fly on salmon in Quebec, New Brunswick and Russia (and steelhead in Oregon). It's one of my favorites.
Bill

flytyer 07-01-2003 06:51 PM

wrke,

That is a very nice fly. I can readily see why the fish like it. Did you tie it?

I'm going to tie some and use them on summer steelhead. I have one question though, it looks like the body is formed of black-dyed mono, or am I mistaken? I'm going to use black V-rib or Swannandaze instead because it is easier to tie with.

wrke 07-01-2003 07:12 PM

Tyer
Yes, I tied it. Sorry it's not a better example. This one actually took a fish. You're obviously good at this — it is, in fact, vinyl V rib — part of the original design. For the yellow, I've begun using yellow arctic fox, a few strands of black krystal flash, black kid goat, as I mentioned, 1 turn of silver pheasant. The spey hackle is black or dark grey spey hackle (your choice of origin). Summer steelhead seem to like it.
Bill

jcc_00 07-02-2003 01:32 PM

Picasse

Bill,

Very nice looking fly. I'll have to try it on the Eagle in August -looks like it could be a keeper

Thanks