Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   bleaching BEP (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=11378)

speydoc 05-30-2003 12:03 AM

bleaching BEP

Does any one out there have a good techneique for bleaching blue eared pheasant? I have tried the method given in Radencich`s book, but can only get to a medium ginger - which is no good for the bright pinks ect. I like to dye up. My surply of white eared is almost up, but I have plenty of BEP and can get more - help!

flytyer 05-30-2003 01:26 AM

I've used the Radencich method and the result was a very light cream color that could be used to dye any color. Not sure why you are not getting the light cream from using this method. Maybe you need to make your bleaching "lather" a bit stronger. And make sure that you use the 20% peroxide he specifies for the solution.

BobK 05-30-2003 07:57 AM

Peroxide - that MAY be the answer.

Check the % on the peroxide you have. It just may be too weak.

BobK

flytyer 05-30-2003 11:06 PM

I forgot to say that the only place I've been able to find the 20% peroxide has been in beauty supply shops. Also, you need to use the professional grade Lady Clairol hair lightener (bleach), and again the only place I've been able to find it has been a beauty supply shop. Sometimes a beauty shop will be willing to sell you the 20% peroxide and the professional Lady Clairl lightener.

Remember to never apply or use the 20% peroxide without using ruber or vinyl gloves! And add the amonia very slowly (one drop at a time) or the reaction will be too fast and you will damage the feathers.

speydoc 05-31-2003 01:52 AM

Thanks guys, I have just checked and the peroxide I have, although marked 20 volume is only 6%! I will go and search out the stronger stuff and try again.

DFix 06-02-2003 08:47 AM

Try Rit Color Remover too.

flytyer 06-03-2003 12:45 AM

Rit color remover doesn't work very well with natural animal protein colors such as those found in feathers and animal hairs we tie flies with. Also, it does not do well with the metalized and leveling acid dyes either. Although it does work well enough for removing rust (a light gingerish coloration) from bleached feathers or fur.

Rit colot remover is really formulated for use removing analine dyes (dyes that are set with alkalines like bleach instead of acid dyes that are set with weak acid dye baths like white vinegar or a drop or 2 of hydrocholoric acid) from polyesters, nylons, rayons, etc. not feathers, fur, and hair. Also, rit color remover tends to distroy the protein that feathers and hair are made of. I would be very, very careful about using it on feathers because of how easy it is to do serious harm to the protein structure of feathers.

DFix 06-03-2003 08:51 AM

Experience speaks!

Flytyer, thanks for the tutorial. I suggested it as an alternative, presuming it would perform. Appreciate your catching and educating.

speydoc 06-03-2003 08:46 PM

Flytyer, thanks to your comments on the Rit colour remover - I have not used it as I have read similar comments elsewhere - I believe in one of A.K.Best's books