Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pics of first complete build/conventional rod

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·

Above is a pic of the butt end where the cork foregrip meets the blank. I wound D size thread up and over the winding check and onto the cork taper.

This is the first butt guide

And this is the ferrule section where the top and bottom join. The bear spot is where the ferrule will go into the butt section. I think it is coming out pretty good. This is my fifth rod and the first one I have attempted from scratch. The rod is a St. Croix Ben Doerr Surf Spinning rod that I stripped clean down to the blank and converted to conventional casting rod. I wanted a rod that was 8'6" length for light inshore plugging and eeling. Now my next project is a flyrod from scratch using a blank I have yet to decide. I may try and get an Orvis T3 blank in 9/10 wt. and build one from that using all titanium guides with titanium reel seat and a tarpon ball fighting butt. I am waiting to receive my copy of Billy Vivona's decorative thread wrapping book so I can start doing some thread art wrapping and hopefully make the new flyrod really look nice.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.