Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Xi2 Snaps like a twig

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
My Xi2 has gone back to Sage for the 3rd time this year. The last two times the rod just snapped like a twig and I wasn’t even pulling hard. Anybody have a similar experience.

Natrix

#2 ·
How did the rod break?

I have landed a number of bluefin to 25# with my 10 and have had zero problems with it. No probems with the 9 on some large bass either. I try to be careful with them but they tend to get banged around in the boat.

I did have to send one back because a bass hit short while my ferrules were loose and it cracked the ferrule - user error.

The thin walled construction does not seem to like high-sticking as a friend found out this summer. But many high end rods are like that....

#3 ·
Xi2 9wt...

went back to the factory this summer when the section next to the tip exploded after setting the hook and lifting the rod on a striped bass. I concluded that it was probably the result of nicking that section with a clouser sometime earlier.

As Dave said, highsticking fish is a no-no. If you are breaking the tip section, Sage has a replacement tip policy. For a fee, $165 for an Xi2, they will supply you with an extra tip and bag with an extra section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.