Fly Fishing Forum banner

Duck Key?????

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jamey McLeod 
#1 ·
So I gave the girlfriend the choice:

A.) Hang out with my parents on Duck Key for a week mid Jan. thru mid March, or

B.) Hang out with her friends in Colorado in the late summer.

Either way I would be fishing.

She decided on the Keys.

What should I expect? I do have access to a vehicle and don't plan to be on the same island as my parents the whole time. I "may" have access to an offshore boat also.

I would like to hook into a Tarpon, Permit or a Bone. Not looking for a secret cut or anything, just some direction, maybe a good flyshop in the vacinity.

Signed,
Clueless GL steelheader looking for a clue.

#2 ·
#3 ·
For DYI wade fishing for bones - Go 5 mi. west to Curry Hummacks. There are also
some very large 'cuda on this flat when it floods. I also witnessed a friend jump a
100+ lb tarpon in the little channel between the Hummacks & Valhalla. The other
area that always come to mind is the MM 75 flat, around 14 mi. east of Duck Key
on Lower Matecumbe. Have landed bones upto 10+ and my only permit to date.
Very few cuda on this flat except for the odd dink that shows up just in time to
"snip" that rootbeer charlie off as a couple huge bones cruise by - *^#$*#.

#4 ·
Hi Jamey

Duck Key is just a few miles south of Islamorada. There are a number of good tackle shops around there. The best one belong's to Sandy Moret.

There are good number of places to fish around there but you really need a guide.

At that time of year you will only really find tarpon on the Bayside when you have had a couple of days of flat calm. Later on in the season (late April thru June) when the migration is on they are everywhere butb there are also hudreds of anglers.
The bone fishing around there is good for big fish but not many and ver ydifficult to catch.
If you are lucky you may come across a Permit but they are more prevalent further south.

Pete

#5 ·
I guess I would be happy to just catch something that makes my drag scream. I'm easily entertained when it comes to fishing, and wet wading in Janurary will be something new. I do have access to a car down there and plan to do some exploring.

Thanks all for the tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.