Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nicks & Scratches

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Gregory DeFoe 
#1 ·
I recently broke my favorite striper rod (Redington DFR) that I'm sure a new replacement will not be available for.

I have a bead on a pair of rods, 10 & 12 wieght, for short money but both have what I think are superficial nicks/scratches.

Any suggestions for treating the blemishes to eliminate possible stress risers. I was thinking a coat of rod builders epoxy.

#2 ·
Stress Risers

Polyester resin is a bit more flexible than epoxy (thinking of not creating a stress riser within the stress riser). How deep are the worst of the nicks; will a magnifying glass let you see if the scrim is cut?

#4 ·
The used rods I may purchase are Redington DFR's. The DFR's were discontinued when Sage bought Redington and are not available any more (I probably got one of the last when I clousured my first DFR 3 or 4 years ago:frown: ). I have a bit of a thing for DFR's that's probably not logical:rolleyes: .

As it turns out I just got a call from the bearsden and Redington replaced the DFR with a 10 wt nano-titanium. It'll be interesting to play with but it's not a DFR

#6 ·
Sage / Redington Warr

I had a DFR 1308 DBL hand. One day out of the blue [2-3 yrs] the tip section folded over with a sickening soggy sound.. Must have been damaged earlier. Anyway the Sage folks were great handling it. I shipped the complete rod [retaining my tube] and 20.00 for return shipping, about 10 days later a new DFR 1308 arrived. They may still have some replacments.

I think I've still got the email address for the gal that handled things if you'd like it.

Good luck... SG

#7 ·
Fred,

I do a little Rod Building, but don't know much about repair. But like VTLoon says if the scratches are in the surface finish & not down into the graphite material it should be OK.

I posted you question over at the rod builders forum & will get back to you with what they say.

#8 ·
Fred,
Sorry to take so long in reply, I have been busy. I don't know what your decision with the rods were. I only had two replies to my query over at the rod builders forum. Both people thought a product called Permagloss would be the best thing to use if the scratches were deep. Other than that they would not worry too much.

Hope this is of some value to you.

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. And thanks for the extra effort Warren, I owe ya a beer at some point. Flexcoat was also recomended.

I'm still hemming and hawing. It's (the rods) a no brainer for the price but my camara just crapped out, I need waders..... I got a self imposed toy budget.

#12 ·
nicks and scratches

I build quite a few rods and the use of epoxy for repair of this type is not recommended. It will provide little if any protection. Permagloss is the way to go. It is a urethane product that cures very quickly. very hard, very flexible, and very durable. Check Rodbuilders.org most site sponsirs carry it.

Greg DeFoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.