Fly Fishing Forum banner

For all the men with Tarponfever

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Reading all the stuff and being in the Netherlands everything is strting to itch... Me 2, me 2!!! I want to be in the carribean too!! it´s allready been to long I haven´t been back home, I just need to get a tropical fish on my flyrod as soon as possible. All the rumours, the catches, the pictures and the little video´s, they just ease the urge a little bit, but they also create a lot of hunger!

Untill then I have no nice stories of Tarpon or Bones beeing caught in some well known place, or maybe beeing caught in the places where there haven´t been much fisherman yet. DIY is still my only option and even a ticket is to expensive at the moment, but as I will once land my first tarpon I thought now would be the right time to share a trophy with you guys I scored on a other sport I like a lot. Next to fishing diving is one of my hobby´s and I once managed to shoot a tarpon after following him for about half an hour. Offcourse I had some more shots at him, but this was the shot I was going for, I took it right at the moment there was a little fish in front of him, the moment the huge bucket opened and the little fish dissapeared, never to be seen again.

So this is what it will look like when something silver hits your fly, seen from underneath the surface....

See less See more
#5 ·
That's awesome:smokin: I'd like to see more underwater pics like this.

Also pics of our attempts at imitation alongside the real thing in the water:lildevl:

#7 ·
What I can't get over with tarpon is how hard they hit! Particularly the smaller ones in shallow water. Vicious predators, hit harder with a more deliberate surge in shallow water than any other species I ever fished for with the possible exception of big feeder coho salmon in the pacific, but with ten times the clout and power. Bluefish make a good effort but fall far short in the agility department, and the leaping only rivaled by atlantics and the hottest of hot steel. Top that with a tropical environment and WOW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.