Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Monomoy--North

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I was just wondering, since Keith Makes these North Monomoy shuttles.. sometimes before the regular schedule if we have enough to fill the boat.. what about asking him to drop us off at the north shore of South Monomoy.. at the Crib.Could give us a great day there and for the more harding a walk down south.. but gives us both shores to fish and we could walk down as far as we want and fish all these potential locations not to mention the flats. What is the concensus?

#2 ·
Good idea, beat you to it...

There is no access to the north end until after the roseate terns fledge (if that's a proper verb), later on in the season. Even then there is no guarantee that the feds will grant access.

Keith reminds us that this is the famous "gull killing field" area that was in the center of much controversy in recent years and the attention makes usage more susceptible to scrutiny. That being said, I think that standing in the intertidal zone with some fluff tied to a single hook is hardly a matter worth arguing about but you know how humans can get ;)

#5 ·
Per Keith's reply to my inquiry about the north end, Rip Ryder was ONLY allowed to pick us up there under emergency conditions. That's the alternate emergency pickup point, thus we had to walk up there. Two other parties have had to do the walk this year (Audubon folks).

Frankly, I was discouraged after the recent detour and had considered cancelling these trips until everyone replied favorably. I am still concerned about the possibility of having to walk that distance again.

You can bet I will put a pair of good walking shoes in my pack next time!

BTW - the terns should be out of there by early fall.

#6 ·
Ok, I see..... I too am concerned but we need to make sure that those attending will be able and willing to make the walk... if we have that commitment then I see no problem.... and the walk would be only under those kind of conditions.

#7 ·
juro (07-10-2001 09:48 a.m.):
Good idea, beat you to it...

There is no access to the north end until after the roseate terns fledge (if that's a proper verb), later on in the season. Even then there is no guarantee that the feds will grant access.

Keith reminds us that this is the famous "gull killing field" area that was in the center of much controversy in recent years and the attention makes usage more susceptible to scrutiny. That being said, I think that standing in the intertidal zone with some fluff tied to a single hook is hardly a matter worth arguing about but you know how humans can get ;)
Correction: I believe it's the 'least terns' they are concerned with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.