Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newport around july 20

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  D3Smartie 
#1 ·
I am probably going to be out in Newport around July 20 or so and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to target the stripers during that time. Last time i was out there i got into the Blues which were fun on the fly rod but only LDRed one schoolie striper. I am hoping i can get into some more of them on the fly this time out. I usually go off Satchuest Pt. or walk out from Ledge Rd as well a a couple other private areas i have access to around the clam bake club.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated and i dont mind driving a little ways to get into some fish either.
Thanks
David

#2 ·
David -

Lot of blues that time of year. Maybe if you can get off the shoreline into the rips and/or work the turbulent rocky areas and inlets with good tide movement and you'll likely find good bass as well. Fish the off hours, with good tide movement and bait.

Drive to South County and fish the breachways, up inside on the flats mid-day sight fishing, or just keep the eyes open along the breakers.

Best would be to get out on the reefs around Fisher's on a boat if you can.

I am a little partial to my home waters then, Monomoy but that's more than a 'little ways'.

Contact the gang at Saltwater Edge, a Forum sponsor located in beautiful downtown Newport and tell Jenks we sent ya!

#4 ·
Thank you Tim... i will send you a line closer to the date. I will be coming from New Brunswick and some atlantic salmon fishing so i might not be able to use the computer for a while around then but i will get in touch with you.

Juro.... how far is it to your home area? I dont mind driving a few hours to get into some sort of different fishing experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.