Fly Fishing Forum banner

Click Pawl

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  doctorsteve 
#1 ·
So we are headed to Hawaii in late January and I will be spending a day or two with Duff. To mix it up I'm thinking of going old school and using something like a Hardy Perfect for one part of a day. The bones are few and somewhat far between but 8-10lbs are not unusual, am I nuts?

Any of you every go click pawl?

#2 ·
Hi Andre
In answer to your question "am I nuts?" my answer would be definitely yes.;)

If bones are few and far between and also big then I would not risk losing one with tackle experiments. :tsk_tsk:
Use the best you have and come back happy having done your best rather than potentially pissed off because your experiment failed.

Pete

#3 ·
I guess I agree. My first visit to Andros many years ago saw me with two click/pawl reels as that's all I owned at the time. Though I did quite well with them, there are lots of fish on Andros. Besides, the amount of maintenance one would have to do on an older (non-anodized) Perfect after using it in the salt also wouldn't be worth it in my mind. The two reels I used were both STH and were completely anodized.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I will bring a pawl reel of some type and see how it goes. I will fish it later in the day after some success. One of the most exciting thing I have had happen while flyfishing was loosing all drag on a 17lbs silver.

Jim, I have some pics of that Saracione that I will email in the next day or so.

#5 ·
hardy

Is the Hardy saltwater safe? If it is, have fun with it. If you've caught enough bones in your life that you dont care if you land it then do it. Personally I never really care if I land them. It's the take of the fly that get's my heart pumping. Of course it's nice to get a picture, but I'd rather hook a bunch and lose most, than hook just a couple and land them all. (Not that a click drag has any bearing on the hook up, I'm just sayin'...) I'm jealous, stuck in Buffalo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.