Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout and shrooms

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  October Caddis 
#1 ·
Took a great hike saturday to one of the high lakes with some friends. Found loads of rising fish in a spectacular setting near the divide. Also found bunches of chantrelles along the trail. The people i was with were hunting shrooms and i was hunting fish, not a bad combo. Anyone else ever find these two edibles together. I know there are lots of shrooms on the cape out near race point and the pacific north is famous for chantrelles.

#3 ·
Brad,
Sounds like you hit the Jack pot! You could not ask for a better meal than some mountain trout and saute chanterelles cooked over a camp fire.
When I lived in the Livingston MT area it was common for us catch a Yellowstone River Rainbow, pick Morel mushrooms and fresh wild asparagus all on a Spring outing to the river. In those days I was unemployed and a once in awhile meal like that made one feel as if he was the richest man in the world.
Out here in the Pacific NW I was walking the RR tracks along the Skykomish River on a Steelhead adventure and found Morels but did not connect with a Steelhead that day but the mushrooms tasted great anyway.
One place that you can get chanterelles in the Rocky Mountains is in Yellowstone Park. In August the timbered hills along the Madison River near Madison Junction are full of them. All one must do is check out the NE sides of these hills to connect. I used to live at Madison Junction when I worked for the park service and August always was a time for chantrelles and the last of the year before elk steaks from the freezer cooked on the back yard fire pit. Seemed like there were many of poor starving young seasonal employees camped out side my door when I got home from work every night. It was fun to feed them such delicious treats, they worked much better the next day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.