Fly Fishing Forum banner

the cape

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 ·
I will be heading down to the cape this weekend 5/16 for some well needed R and R I will be staying in Orleans and would like to fish this area or in Chatham.any info on some hot spots would be appreciated.I have never fished in these waters before thyanks
W.F.G.

#3 ·
rs2003,

There are areas that are universally known hot spots in Orleans and Chatham.

You can always take the Rip Ryder over to South Beach and fish almost anywhere to the left or right of the drop off point and do really well this time of year. As you come to shore at the drop off point you can head right or left and fish the famed flats and channels of the South Beach area.

At the drop off you can walk over the sand dunes and fish the surf of South Beach. Cows can be found in the wash.

You can also fish the Morris Island area near where the Rip Ryder picks you up at the bottom of the stairs. Head to the right and you will see some nice areas to fish. The left obviously produces too.

Chatham Light is a favorite spot. The area fishes well but you should make sure that you head out to the sandbar that sticks out into the surf. The bar is to the right as you face the water from the lighthouse. Look for rips and holes to drop a fly. I like to cast into the current and count to 60 before stripping the fly at these spots.

There is also Minister's Point further up into Pleasant Bay and then there is the entire Nauset Area.

Head over to Nauset Angler in Orleans and pick Harry Koons' brain. He always knows where the action is in this area.

If you ever want to share any spots in the Hampton Flats area then I would appreciate it too. For the past 3 years I have fished more in Chatham than I have in NH. That is foolish and it has to change this year.

Take care and good luck.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.