Fly Fishing Forum banner

Scuds? Freshwater Shrimp?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 · (Edited)
I've tipped over my fair share of rocks in my life. I've never seen these 'freshwater shrimp'

that the wildly colored 'scud'

patterns are supposed to imitate.

Are they only in a certain type of stream? I only fish freestone/gravel bottom streams. My internet searches have been weak.

anyone care to shed a little light?

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can tell you is while fishing the White River in Arkansas recently, a companion noticed my gravel guards were COVERED with scuds when we exited the water. We removed a lot of them and examined them. These were all an olive green color due to the moss that was prevelant in the stream at the time. Scuds take on the color of what they are eating. I have seen a few white ones, but most are tan, olive, or an orange color (usually these orange ones are dead or dying.)

Do you use a screen to sein for acquatics? If not, get some fine mesh screen material (at a home improvement store) and tie a couple of square feet between two wooden dowels. Hold the screen under the current for a minute or two and see if you don't come up with some very interesting critters in your net... :hihi:

#3 ·
Scuds definitely turn an orange/amber color when they are dead or dying, and that IMO is why that particular color is so great for scud flies. The fish seem to key in on it sometimes because they don't have to expend extra energy to chase down something that might swim away.

FWIW, here in New England I have only seen scuds in areas with weed beds. I'm sure that there are many exceptions to this, but that seems to be where they might proliferate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.