Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Monomoy Report

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Headed out to North Monomoy with Jim Simms on the Rip Ryder at 8 this morning...outgoing tide... so we headed to the crib... one guy with us named Stuart hit right away at the lower crib but lost the fish.... I move slowly west... saw hundreds of fish and some big ones in the mix...used a sparce sandeel and small... all follows and no hits... some did not move from their intended path... very frustrating...but it was the first time out there for me this year and I wanted to check structure.... bueatiful morning and glad to see fish all over the place... saw two nameworthy guides with clients who were also there. Did not bring my crab or shrimp flies... but will tomorrow...used a 12 pound test tippet... will move down to 8 pound tippet tomorrow with some crab apples.... sand filling the crib in.... may be able to walk to south monomoy some year soon.

#2 ·
John, after you left, walked up to the north end, tide still going out, and landed 7, biggest about 26. I switched to a #2 sand eel . I agree, lets think out of the box in the a.m. - flounder, crab and shrimp patterns on light tippets. Those cows were either not eating, or I what they were eating was not what we were offering. Tomorrow is another day.

Simms

#3 ·
Excellent Jim.. that North Point is a good spot. Meet you tomorrow at 8..If I am not there I have been asked by a neighbor to go on his boat...we will do the crib but also head down to the south point of south monomoy to check it out . Let me know if you are up for Wednesday morning also at 8.

#5 ·
7/8 Monomoy ReportHere's

Unabridged diary report for the day, not a pretty picture as Striblue can attest. Fog, arrived 8 a.m. hi tide 8:30 a.m. Went to north end. Fished deep with small/large deep eel patterns. One fish @ 24 inches. Dave Brown, an Irishman from Long Island, lost one good fish on a large deceiver, one keeper on a sand eel pattern. Fog cleared about 1 p.m. Flats bare. Went to S. Beach until 5. It was dead.

John, will fish the bayside on Wednesday. Good tides on the creeks in early a.m. Lets think about Thursday for Monomoy/S. beach.

Rooster, in case I was remiss, but think I alluded to you in a thread in response to Juro and the zen required sometimes for sightfishing, I do thank you and appreciate the sharing of one of your spots with Chris and me.

Simms

#6 · (Edited)
Jim I should have gone with you... I will plan on meeting you at 8 for the shuttle on Thursday...Are you ready for this report... a comedy of errors!!!!!...we head out in the fog on a maritime skiff. My neighbor had no navagational equipment so I pull our my hand held GPS...but I have no waypoints... anyway we make it down to the crib on a stong outgoing tide. At 9:30 am we get hoplessly lost and end up GROUNDED on a flat... which I think is the north tip of south monomoy.... We push ... but where???? So we are stuck... till High tide... We walk around North monomoy in the fog ( I still think we are on South) and I use one waypoint to the hole at the mid crib which we fished and land about 1/2 dozen mid 20's.... Fog does not lift.. My neighbor calls his son who is painting houses with my boy and askes them to take a Shuttle to bring us food and more water because we are in for a long day..probably till 6 pm before we can get the boat of the sand bank. Anyway... they come over and they get lost and make the mistake of crossing over the island looking for us in that fog... we finally hook up at the North Monomoy drop off...by shear luck... So back to the boat "condo for a day" and eat.... fish more all over the island. Took a GPS reading to get us back to the boat... the fog finally lifts around 1:30... we see that the boat is about 50 yards from the cross channel and we were pushing in the opposite direction..up hill...brillant!.... so we catch some rays around the boat and the fishing is dull since we are well into low.... Finally the tide frees us around 5:30.... back to the Ramp at Barn hill road.... and now my neighbrs truck will not start...battery dead...he calls his wife to come down and jump start us.... than ,now that the boat is on the trailer... The Hydrallic (sp)in the engine does not work and we can not get the motor up so it's rudder is about an inch off the ground... He leaves it there and his wife drops me off at home and he goes for a lube gun... My boys are there at home with about 10 kids... really pissed off at me ... It's almost 9 PM... bueatiful day out there though.... nice breeze... Male bonding ,some laughs..... so Jim... I think you had a better day. The only consolation was that misery loves company and we saw two other flats boats grounder across the channel on South monomoy and they were not clamming. We told everyone we meant to do that so we could stay the day.;)

#9 ·
John. Try this on those finnicky follows. Use a sparse Clouser sand eel tied sideways so that the hook swims to the side instead of up. I talked to someone that swears this really works. Think about it. In shallow water a striper sees the fly from the side and after following and time for inspection, sees the hook riding up out of the feathers. Uh oh. Got stung by one of those once!!!!!!! Give it a try and report back please. I'm too far away to experiment myself. You can shave off one the the lead eyes to get the hook to ride right.

Phil

#11 ·
7/9 Report

John, sounds lie a Laurel & hardy skit for you yesterday. Keith Lincoln let the cat out of the bag yesterday p.m.

Today was a bust on the Bay Side. Lots of bait, no fish. Left and caught the Rip Ryder at 11 a.m. for N. Monomoy. Went down to thye crib, outgoing tide and hit the confluence of two channels that set up a rip. One bass @ 27. Nothing else there. Went to north ribs in channel, nothing there for me. Took the 3 p.m. shuttle home before the rain started. Water temp was 60 degrees.

Talked to Harry Koons at NaUset Angler. He said pods of fish now in deeper water as a result of the last couple days of heat. The current rain and cooler temps could promote an egress of fish onto the flats.

Will catch the 8 a.m. Rip Ryder tomorrow.

Simms

#12 ·
I was with Stri this am at South Beach. There we plenty of fish in 2 to 3 feet of water hard on the flats about as far away from deep water as they could get, but they must have had enough to eat last night:D

#13 ·
JBasser and I hooked up ..I went to the ocean and he stayed in the tub.. I later walked the tub from the J bouy back... saw alot of fish..not large schools but isolated 1, 2's and 3's ..big ones ..but no go..just not interested... for every 5 bad casts I had at least two good ones... twitched. or striped ... and no go. All of these days has been outgoing..lets see what happens on the incoming ala Juro thinking and obvious results... Tomorrow going out with MikeZ...Time to think ....How about the west side of south monomoy... bait fishermen are hitting off Hardings and Ridgevale ....

#15 · (Edited)
Juro...when will you be down again? Call me..or I will call you... Chatham Squire after? I have two months as you know. How about striper fishing at the right tides... then shoot over to a Chatham pond I know to cast our 3 and 4 weights for some bows and ,maybe a brown..... A double day.... come to think about it... a good concept for a guide like you.... Take someone out for a 1/2 day of stripers and a 1/2 day of trout????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.