Fly Fishing Forum banner

ICE OUT ON CAPE COD

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  striperman 
#1 ·
OK the ice melted yesterday on most of the ponds on the Cape, I was wondering what you guys have experienced fishing the Cape ponds after the ice goes away?
I have fished the past 3 days and lost one fish each time.
Tonight right at dark I saw a few rises.

#2 ·
Tony -

Looks like you are the trend setter around new England - few are out already but Jay Clancy caught a brookie last weekend. Good time for steelhead, which I know you've also had some experience with too. I'm gonna send a dozen steelie flies to the first Pacific Northwest member to land a native fish. Sounded like some of the trout you'll been tangling have been in the steelhead class

With weather like this it won't be long before a lot of folks are getting the season going. If I read your posts around the various websites, you have been fishing through the whole winter! Us winter hibernators owe it to guys like you to keep the hardcore reputation intact.

I'll be over at Smitty's this weekend in Kingston getting him on-line (the web will never be the same!). If we get done early I'm thinking about hitting Miles Standish for a few casts. I'd like to join you for some early spring trout down your way when I can. I've loved the cape trout fishing scene since I was about 13 years old.

To answer your question, I've done well with streamers, black ugly buggers, and also with gnats and march browns. I've also had great luck crawling nymphs up the sandy dropoffs on sinking lines. MOst MA lakes don't have the luxury of the Cape ponds sandy clean bottom so this is a Cape exclusive.

On another topic, we need to talk about blue crab. When I was a kid I caught a 5 lb fluke off Bass River Jetty and netted a bucket of crab on Swan POnd. We filleted the fluke into strips, rolled the crabmeat into stuffing and toothpicked bacon around the stuffed fillets. I can still taste it! I suppose Swan is out of the question (per board of selectmen), but I see a good population in Wychmere. I'll be doing some netting this season for sure and rumor has it that you're the blue crab king.

#3 ·
Took the afternoon off and fished a little harder and earlier today. Also today was the first easterly since the ice melted. (i like that low pressure)
Fished for about an hour ... no hits, i hear a fish bust, thought someone threw a rock at first, moved over to where it was and started catching fish, in the next hour or so I had about 15 hits and landed 4 fish, nothing too big .. but fun. Came in to have a little chowda and get warm and went back out at 4pm, pouring.. fished till dark and only had one fish on that I lost. If I didnt fish earlier I would have continued my One hit, one lost Ice Out thing.
I feel a lot better now.

#4 ·
RE:ICE OUT ON CAPE COD-Blue Crab

Juro I love Blue Crabs... Love to eat them ... and catch them. This past season was great, and the crabs were here early... the first day I went out bass fishing last season I had a big blue crab go right over my foot.
Next day I was steaming some up!
I also love 5 pound fluke!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.