Fly Fishing Forum banner

which boat??? please help

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, here's the scoop... my wife made the offer of a boat for my 50th b'day :hehe: but I can't break the bank :tsk_tsk: so I'm thinking 17/18 ft. doesn't need to do 70 knots just a good inshore fishermans boat, not a flats boat. she hates gettin bounced around, so were talkin modified V I would guess. I need to be able to tow with my 6 cyl explorer. used is fine if the boat ok and the motor great. hoping for 6 grand or so... please help??? she said if I really want one it would be stupid to wait till my Dec. b'day. so were off to the boat show coming up. thanks all in advance. Tom D

#2 ·
I was reading along thinkin' how lucky you were, reading more and thinkin' Parker, maybe a used Whaler Outrage, etc. but these would run you quite a bit more than you're talking for $ and I don't want to go there being a married man wanting a boat myself :rolleyes:

Best deals are solid used hulls with new power IMHO. Good luck at the boat show!

#3 ·
agreed

Juro, I'd have to second that. as long as the hull is still in good condition, I don't really care how old it is(within reason). the motor is a different story. Tom D

#4 ·
ok, I made the show

my wife and kids went to the boat show with me this afternoon. obviously I loved the Parker and the Seaswirl, both very nice well made boats. the 18.5 footers going for about $21,000 with 115hp. maritime skiff looked ok too, about $19,000 but seems a bit light for running thru the chop we usually get here. the Key Largo boats caught my interest at the show. seems like a good fishing machine, seems laid out well, nice hull design. anyone know these boats? it was about $16,000 with a merc 90hp the dealer is on buzzards bay, so I figure the boat has to handle the chop well :hehe: . my wife love the utility of the key largo, the inside is textured and open and can be washed down with comet!!! unlike the pretty, smooth, inside of the parker and seaswirl. I admit I am tough on my toys, bad about maintainence, so she figures this way I cant do too much to piss her off (I agree).PLEASE GIVE ME ANY INPUT YOU HAVE! AS LONG AS IT IS REAL!!! no rumors or 4th hand knowledge. the window on a boat for this kind of bucks just opened and may slam shut soon. thanks, Tom D

#5 ·
Merc

Only probelm is that black anchor hanging off the stern of it. I am not a big Mercury fan. You will be happier in the long run with a Yamaha. Check out this link if you are looking for a nice inexpensive center console.
http://www.lookoutboats.com
Made down here in NC. I have spoken to the guy who runs the show there and he is making a good boat. Since it is a small operation he practically custom makes them and you can get exactly what you want.
Good luck on your choice. Don't buy a boat without taking it out!!!

#8 ·
I'm convinced that the boat I want is a used Parker or a used Whaler outrage in minimum 19', 23' preferred. You can beach the Outrage, fish flats, or take it out in some pretty snotty stuff as well. Not quite as comfortable in nasty stuff as the Parker but it's agility on the flats more than makes up for that. In order to get something in my price range or should I say future price range, I plan on getting a used hull and investing in recent power. All this is a thought for another day for me, I envy you and wish you the best of luck in your decision.

I believe the Palm Springs and Key Largo are the same manufacturer?

Also, I noticed that for some reason boats in the Want Ads are cheaper in CT and RI?

#10 ·
Tom,
From firsthand comparison:
I do like the clean interior lines of the Maritimes, lightweight and easy to push around affordably. A close friend has one that I fish from regularly and it's enjoyable as long as it's reasonably flat. They become uncomfortable once the chop starts to build but you just have to slow it down. (Understandable since it's not a true v-hull)
One thing to consider about the Maritime ( or any 'skiff' style hull ) is that because of the hull flairing out at the top, you don't have anything to brace yourself against with your knees/legs. As one get's a bit older issues of stability become more important.

I've had a Hydra-Sport "Ocean" 20 for the past 4+ years and have found it very enjoyable. Easy to trailer and launch single-handed. Good gunnel height and an optional cap provides that leg "bracing" surface. Nice casting deck up front. Trouble might be that from what I've seen they have held their selling prices very well and even a 4-5 year old one migh be worth about the same today as when it was first purchased. For more details on what's available new or used from Hydra Sport I'd check with Mike or Heidi at Eagle Marine.

I spent one day fishing out of a Triton 19/20 (Mike Mayo's )this fall and found it to be very nice. Decent interior finish. Reminded me a lot of the H-S. Mike used to work at a marina so I'm sure he gave it a lot of scrutiny before his decision.

The Key Largos look good but I only know of one owner, Bill Smith from Pembroke but he uses his hard as he charters with it all season in Boston harbor. You could call Bill for his feedback.

Feel free to contact off-line if you think I can help. Best of luck.

#11 ·
Bob, will you be going Tuesday?

Bob, will you be at the crossroads meeting on Tuesday? if so I'll pick your brain there. Tom D

#13 ·
Key West?

anyone know Key West boats? Steve Moore recomended I look at them, they seemed like a good boat, hull lighter than the parker but same idea. the 19cc had a flair (slight near the bow to keep you drier). Tom D

#14 ·
Tom,

I have heard mixed reviews on Key West. I looked into them when I was first looking. One thing I saw was that they are one of the Few Manufactures that still use Wood on the Hull construction (Rot?) & No Lifetime warr (5 or 7 years I think). I also spoke with an owner & he said he was pretty happy with his, except the boat did not self-bail "well" when at rest on his slip. I think Key West is more entry level then Key Largo.

#16 ·
Key West

First, There's nothing wrong with using wood in a boat, per se. If the boatbuilder knows how to properly encapsulate the wood, there's no reason wood can't outlast the newer materials. Nowadays, boat builders would rather spend their time developing new materials rather than taking the time to do things right with wood. Wood has inherent properties that make it better for boat building than a lot of the space-aged junk they put into boats these days. Lots of good boats still use wood in their construction today (Grady White for example).

That said, and even though they don't use wood, Key West boats are in no way a "Entry-Level" boat. While they don't have the following in the Northeast that they enjoy down south, you should have no hesistation about it being an excellent performer here in the northeast.

#17 ·
crossroads

Bob, I locked myself into a family activity(signed up last fall) at the Audabon center tonight!!!! arghhhh!!! Tom D

#18 ·
I think I got my Key West & Key Largo Specs backward!

Key West:

" WE BACK EVERY BOAT WITH A SEVEN-YEAR
"TRANSFERRABLE" STRUCTURAL HULL WARRANTY. WE BACK OUR
BOATS BETTER BECAUSE WE BUILD OUR BOATS BETTER. OUR NO
WOOD/NO ROT CONSTRUCTION WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH YEARS OF
DEPENDABLE SERVICE. YOUR KEY WEST EQUIPPED WITH A
YAMAHA OUTBOARD IS YOUR KEY TO PERFORMANCE AND
QUALITY.
"

Key Largo:

"The stringer system is the
frame that reinforces the hull below the
floor. The stringer system is constructed
of pressure preservative XL panels fully
encapsulated in fiberglass. The transom,
stringers, and floor all have a lifetime
warranty. Laminated to the hull, the
stringers cure in the mold with the hull.

Five Year Hull Warranty"

So what I said about Key West apply to Key Largo. Sorry.

#19 ·
Tom,
personally, I wouldn't ge too hung up on the "no wood, no rot" craze that is sweeping the boatbuilding world. While there is something to be said for the concept, a lot of it is just marketing hype--much like Orvis coming out with "THE BEST" new rod every couple years.

Some of the best boats in the business still have wood in them, and personally I think the weight they add is an advantage to stability and ride.

No wood boats are on the newer side--I will be curious to see how they wear after 10 years of hard fishing compared to wood stringer/deck/transom boats.

Jeff

#20 ·
hold on a sec

I never said wood stunk as a building material. both parker and grady use it!!! I was only answering the question. Tom D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.