Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pmflyfisher SBD Flyswap entry coneheaded sparrow

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
This is the first of Hals entrys in the simple but deadly fly swap. I'll let Hal enter the recipe.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wow, John your really delivering on this giving me and Fred more work. I may be sorry I sent so many flies! :D

Can we keep the GLs fishers who may be on the same river as me from viewing these pictures, my strategic advantage may be now neutralized ? Oh well they still have to find the steelhead and present the fly properly, more information they all may not have.

PM Out

#3 ·
Wow, John your really delivering on this giving me and Fred more work. I may be sorry I sent so many flies!
I dont think I'm giving Fred much work, only his own fly and the cheese fly affect him. :devil:

Actually Hal I appreciate the variety thet you sent in. Now get those recipes added . Especially the rainbow streamer :hehe: I have uses for that one.

#5 ·
Gotta admit it's amazing what works in one area

of the country and is a zero in another. Even the length of the river will determine what will/won't work for us on the Rogue. Shrimp patterns are a dead loss in the upper river due to it's length; here small and dark patterns prevail. Exception to that, at times of the year are single egg patterns.

Not unusual to be chasing King Salmon with 'traditional steelhead patterns tied on hooks in size 8-10's in the upper river.
fae

#6 ·
Pattern: Cone Head Sparrow Nymph

Species: great lakes trout, salmon, steelhead, small mouth bass

Tactics: Standard nymphing techniques dead drifted along the bottom,

Season: All

Thread: black, brown, or olive

Hook: wet fly hook, down eye 2x strong or greater, size 6-12, weighted with lead wire optional,

Tail: two brown goose biots split

body: peacock herl

Hackle: CDC gray, brown, or olive. A variation is to imitate gills with olive or gray mottled marabou or equivalent at the side of the fly's head. Also can palmer a pheasant filoplume in on the front 1/3 of the flys body.

Conehead: brass or tungsten

#7 ·
Pout, pout ... who come I! didn't get one of these???

:( So, Hal Baby .... get your sorry fanny to the bench. These look like they could be true 'hunter-killers.' A half dozen would be good on size 6 and 8 hooks; wted would be wonderful.

I WANT SOME!

Notice how "wine" (as what the bottles empty????) and "whine" as he wants some of these flys, is 'only an 'h away?':D

#8 ·
Did you get the hair wing swap flys yet and the other ones I threw in ?

There is tungsten conehead sparrow type nymph that is similar but in a hex style. Just about the same.

Give it a go and let me know how it sinks. I think it will dive right to the bottom of the Rouge into the zone. :hehe: :hehe:

PM Out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.