Fly Fishing Forum banner

furled leaders???

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  maineguide 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

I've "played at" fly fishing for years but just recently decided to get a little more out of it. Browsing thru and buying some new lines and such, I've come across leaders described as "furled". Just what is a furled leader and how does it differ from a mono leader in construction, material, and performance? Please educate me.

Thanks in advance, Dave

PS. 2nd question. I've sometimes in the past just used some of my mono off my spinning rigs for tippet material. What makes mono sold as tippet material different than what I've used and why should I use the "real" tippet line?? Again, Thanks for your help and indulgence.

#2 ·
A furled leader is a woven leader that has very good turnover characteristics to aid delicate presentation to spooky fish. I is durable and is mechanically more prone to behave well than a single fiber of nylon or flourocarbon which can kink or hold a bend (memory).

You don't need to use one to catch fish but you might learn to appreciate the subtle benefits they offer.

You shouldn't worry about using any kind of line you can get your hands on for tippet. If it knots well, does not put off the fish, does not break, and turns over nicely with a fly on the end then it's good tippet.

In some situations the tippet will exhibit a pronounced difference in strength and clarity - for instance fishing the flats. When big fish (like stripers) require 15# tippet using a second generation flouro lets you fish big tippet while being very stealthy at the sametime due to it's low vis.

This applies at a lighter scale to trout, a high quality tippet will be stronger and less evident to smart trout in a spring creek.

In general, use whatever is handy until you sense the need to use something better. If the knots break, the fish turn away etc - you have somethings to adjust. Otherwise you are doing well with what you have.

I go the other way too - if I think the fish don't care I dummy the leader down. For instance when fishing to bonefish near coral in a very remote area I will use 15# or even 20# tippet as long as they keep hitting the fly.

In the surf for stripers I use 20# maxima ultragreen for tippet and in that slosh the fish could care less. It makes much more sense when hauling a cow out of the waves too. Could use 30# no problem but the knot tying gets harder.

#4 ·
Hi,

I've used the Blue Sky furled leaders for a couple seasons now, and I'm very happy with them. They turn over small flies very delicately. Very nice to cast on
my 3-weight. Very low maintenance... you only need to change your tippet. While
a little pricey (I think around $12-$15 each) it's worth it, for they can conceivably last several SEASONS. And none of that kinky "memory" of mono.

#5 ·
Furled, Twined, or Woven leaders

For more information on the leaders, see <commercial link removed, PM poster if interested>

This website gives a very good summary of each and methods for making your own leaders.

It's challenging to experiment with different materials and lengths. That way you will find what suits you best for the type of fishing you're doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.