Fly Fishing Forum banner

Classic Flies- General

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joe wojtan 
#1 · (Edited)
As you might have seen on the Saltwater Archive section I have started a Saltwater Classic Fly collection for the saltwater archives. I will have 25 classic flies in the series. These are soley based on my opinion after a certain amount of research. . I want to make sure you know that these are considered the "old" classics and I have intentionally not include a series of Saltwater flies which I would conside "new" classics. Also, my feeling is that innovative flies are not necessarilly classic flies..but innovative ,used and proven, might fall into that catogory. "new" Classic might include Tabory's snake fly, Catherwood's Pogie, Popovic's surf candy(for his work with epoxy), Gartside's sand eel (and his work with corsair), Blados's Crease fly, Puglisi's work with neer hair, Martinek and his work on streamers, Rich Murphy's Comono Special ( and his work with Mylar tubing), Paillot's Prince of Tides, Abram's Flat Wings, Sedotti's slammer, Borski's Slidder, Trey Comb's Sea habit bucktail ,flies by Dick brown and Chico Fernandez, and Dave Skok.....to name a few... And.... no list would be complete with mentioning some of our local guys...Like Tom Thomas's Monomoy Crab, Harry Koon's Rat's Ass, Jeff Smith's Buffy, Ray Stachelek's work with Angel hair, and finally, Juro's Deep eel. I know I have missed some ,but I wanted to be sure the FFF understood that these were intentionally left out for the purpose of coverage in the selection. I will even have one fly that was used in the 1920's to give you some perspective.

See less See more
#3 ·
striblue said:
As you might have seen on the Saltwater Archive section I have started a Saltwater Classic Fly collection for the saltwater archives. I will have 25 classic flies in the series. These are soley based on my opinion after a certain amount of research. . I want to make sure you know that these are considered the "old" classics and I have intentionally not include a series of Saltwater flies which I would conside "new" classics. Also, my feeling is that innovative flies are not necessarilly classic flies..but innovative ,used and proven, might fall into that catogory. "new" Classic might include Tabory's snake fly, Catherwood's Pogie, Popovic's surf candy(for his work with epoxy), Gartside's sand eel (and his work with corsair), Blados's Crease fly, Puglisi's work with neer hair, Martinek and his work on streamers, Rich Murphy's Comono Special ( and his work with Mylar tubing), Paillot's Prince of Tides, Abram's Flat Wings, Sedotti's slammer, Borski's Slidder, Trey Comb's Sea habit bucktail ,flies by Dick brown and Chico Fernandez, and Dave Skok.....to name a few... And.... no list would be complete with mentioning some of our local guys...Like Tom Thomas's Monomoy Crab, Harry Koon's Rat's Ass, Jeff Smith's

Buffy, Ray Stachelek's work with Angel hair, and finally, Juro's Deep eel. I know I have missed some ,but I wanted to be sure the FFF understood that these were intentionally left out for the purpose of coverage in the selection. I will even have one fly that was used in the 1920's to give you some perspective.

John
Realy looking forword, to your classics.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.