Fly Fishing Forum banner

Is Anybody Fishing?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
I'm going quietly nuts here wanting to wade and cast and feel the pull of the stream on my non-cleated waders.

Is anyone fishing? Is anyone seeing fish?

I live a short fifteen miles from the most wonderful steelhead river, the Yachats. It's ideal, as far as I'm concerned, as it is not augmented by hatchery fish, only streambred fish need apply. Streambred fish must be released.

Consequently, I'm one of the very few who fishes this lovely little river.

I've fished this stream for the last several years and have yet to hook a fish or even see one. I'm told I'm a week early or a week late.

Today was my day to fish it for the first time. But. Obligations reared their ugly Hydra heads and I was precluded from my typical practice of ripping limbs off over-hanging spruces with high-kicking ends to my inept Spey casts.

Maybe next week. Winter steelheading, in rain-forest solitude, is an experience to be remembered and treasured. I know, geezer that I am, I have few seasons left to stand fixed on diatom-slickened stones, stones ready to slip in a moment of uneven pressure, and pump the fly out behind the white rock, into the eddy that will, when the current finds it, swing the fly in front of the fish-holding boulders below.

Waiting for the pull. Or just the pluck that announces a fish is there and interested and will maybe take on the next cast.

Or, more probably, not. But...

Today was a perfect day.

Misty rain. Slightly rising river. Late February, peak of the "native" run.

Wasted it on building web-sites.

Carpe diem, I guess.

Except that I don't fish for carp.

Except that they don't live around here.

Petri hell,

Eric

See less See more
#3 ·
Moonlight said:
Hey Eric, I am fishing on the OP as per usual and I am not catching but I am enjoying the spring like weather and lack of floods. Fish are in short supply but hopefully the numbers will improve as March gets going!:biggrin:
]I'm really focused now. I WILL be on the Yachats next week.

Or the upper Alsea

Or the Siletz

(all excellent venues reasonably close to home).

I truly need my fish fix

-- Eric

#4 ·
Hi Eric and Moonlight,

Not much on the Hood so far. There are so fish coming up river until this week. Still low numbers but with the rain we will get some fish smelling their way up the Columbia. Columbia is very low and I don't think fish have moved over the dam yet.

The Hood went up to 2000 and maybe tomorrow I will find fish.

Eric your river sounds wonderful.

Hey Moonlight stay out of trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.