Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout rod Build

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JonC 
#1 ·
Christmas is coming....and Boy of Boy...now I'm really getting excited! :Eyecrazy:

After all the salty builds......I am going to build a trout rod. :whoa:

Kerry Burkheimer 9' 5wt blank (deep spruce green)
Burkies nickle silver seat and matching guide set
I will turn my own custom cork (and maybe wood trim) handle
garnet (or deep green wraps) with silver trim
some sort of feather inlay

I have an opportunity to fish private water in Colorado this Spring and I will be ready! :D Also hope to fish the Deleware again!

I will post up the progress. :wink:

#2 ·
I'm jealous, I didn't know that you could buy blanks from Burkheimer. Not to be intrusive, but would you tell me what the cost was for the blank? I have kind of wanted one of his rods for a long time now, probably the same one you're getting.
Thanks,
Jon

#3 ·
No problem at all Jon.
Blank is a 5 wt 9 foot 4 piece
blank cost is $295....very fair I think!(this is for a deep spruce green. Black & blue are available for an upcharge of $25)
Terry will also sell the reel seat, cork and guides that they use in their builds. He does have options for finishes and real seat inserts.

You contact then via their contacts on the webpage.

#13 ·
One rod to consider is Kerry's 9'5" wt.5 ( 4-5-6) . it is more of a 5/6 rod with incredible action and anther stronger tip. A perfect for a larger trout mid-size river. Hanadle wt.5 and 6 lines superbly and it pleasure to fight trout form 15" + and will take , without killing a fish mid-20" heavy wild rainbows.
A net scoop is 23" long. Kerry Burkheimer can modify the action a bit, and make a version with slightly firmer butt. Overall the rod when casting have tendency to flex toward the butt section and at the same time feels creeps and very firm.

For long distance I would go with DT wt.5 and short to medium with WF 6.

#14 ·
Nice photos and nice trout (Alaska?) :D
This rod is going to be perfect for the Delaware and larger Adirondack streams (Indian, Schroon, Hudson, Saranac, Ausable, Battenkill)....that is where I will be mostly fishing.

If I will get a couple of 20" plus fish a season....that will be phenominal! (most are 10"-16")...but here is to hoping! :wink:

#17 ·
Jim,
I just ordered a Burkheimer blank, a 9' for 4wt, I'm glad you posted about getting one or I never would have realized they were available. Now we have to get rid of an awful lot of snow before we can think about trout.
Thanks,
Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.