Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wes / Hudson

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  steelheadmike 
#1 ·
Wes,

If your out there I have reliable reports of BIG BIG fish out infront of Croton Harmon Train Station. Some sort of Hatch is hapening ( worms? crabs? no one knows ) but the fish have been showing up in good numbers to feed. I visited last night to check it out. I could hear the fish under the bridge but I was on the Croton River Side and due to the stage of the tide the fish where on the outside. I saw numerous Striper Carcasses that the Meat hunters left for the gulls. Some of them where well into the 20lb mark. One of the locals had hit a few with the flyrod on Sunday and went for a "Sleigh"ride in his yak. Also reported getting broken off numerous times on his 10wt and 20lb tippet!! Would have loved to see the size of those fish.

Just an FYI if you have the time.

#3 ·
Kinda sounds like they are finally spawning??? I have heard from guy's up that way that when they spawn they are all on top and it looks as if they are surface feeding, could this be what they are doing??? I read somewhere recently that they had not even spawned yet but who knows I sure don't. What do you say Mike? You think they were doing the nasty or eatin'???

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

#4 ·
Nasty

Heya Striper

Hey I'm heading your way on Sunday.. Middlegrounds. Hear anything? Worth a ride? Let me know. If your free and want to meet out let me know.

When the fish are low in the river such as where I live there is very little if any spawning activity. Stripers spawn in fresh water only and by me there is still a relatively high salt content in the water so they are definately not " bump'n and grind'n"

The past few years I have witnessed some truely Monumental Crab hatches that draw some very large fish out into Croton bay. It's my guess that they are crabs or a huge school of Alweif got washed down the Croton River from all the high water and spit out into the bay like confetti.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.