Fly Fishing Forum banner

Foam for fly boxes?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flysully 
#1 ·
A short time ago someone posted about finding a good source of foam for homemade fly boxes. I think they mentioned getting the foam at a Boating store like US Boat or West Marine...anyone, anyone?

I am looking for the "open cell" foam like that used in the SA flyboxes. I think it holds up better than the "prettier", harder white foam we see in most boxes.

I am going to use these as "inserts" in VHS cassette boxes to carry some of my larger patterns.

Thanks in advance for any help.
MS

#2 ·
flybox foam

The foam I use in my VHS box is pink (sorry!) and grooved and is available as "sill foam" as in windowsills at Home Depot in the weatherstripping dept. It comes in a large roll and costs under $5. Will fill a zillion fly boxes. I glue it in the top and bottom of the video case with Goop, also available at Home depot. When I come home, I just leave the box standing open and the flies dry without rusting. A good idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.