Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hello

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fisher931 
#1 ·
I have been fly fishing for about a year now and am better than most people that have been for awhile. (im not bragging) lol but i dont know any streams, creeks, or rivers that are good for trout in maryland if any and im going to seattle washington in a couple of months and want to know some good places.
and im only 13 so advice is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Well it doesnt surprise me that you are better, when I was a kid I was too :hihi:

Anyway I like your spirit and can recommend some places to go.

But first pick your passion... do you want salmon, steelhead, smallmouth bass or trout?

Salmon would be good from shore and boat in the salt. There will be some in the rivers as well but they aren't feeding and more work to catch (though they can be caught).

Steelhead require an expensive permit, just have the parents get it. I think you get a discount at your age. It's a lot of work to hook one never mind land one but if you want to try for a trout that is as long as your leg thats the way to go.

Smallmouth bass are good down on the Columbia River which is a long haul but if your travels go that way why not.

There are blue ribbon trout streams in Washington state on the east side of the Cascades and around the Cascades many good lakes and streams.

My #1 recommendation would be to go for sea-run cutthroat trout. You can find them in the ocean and in rivers. They are fat and feisty trout that will spoill you. If you like trout fishing, you are in for a tremendous treat. Ask your relatives to drive you to the Cowlitz River at Blue Creek and just fish along the parking lot stretch. Depending on the month (I assume August or September by your post) there should be some around. They are called "harvest trout" for a reason, thats when they come up.

Contact Leland Miyawaki of Orvis or Ryan Petzold of Kaufmanns Streamborn for up to date information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.