Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jeff Smith's buffy style fly

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob Pink 
#1 ·
I've been experimenting with ways to make the Jeff Smith style 'Buffy' type fly without using the ezbody spreader. Ezbody's become hard to locate and I was never good at getting the front profile 'slim' enough to minimize the wind resistance through the air.
My latest attempts have been built aound making the spreader by doing a high/low tie of seafiber about 1/2" to 1/4" back from the eye. I also tie in a modest bunch of pink kinky fibre with some flash to provide some internal color contrast. Once the 'spreader' is built I coat it lightly with softex and set it aside until it cures.
Once it's dry, then I tie in the body first using white kinky fibre keeping it sparse. Add some pink angel hair for a gill, yellow unique hair for a wing and then a combination of flash and colored kinky fibre ( this one has a blue underwing with blue/green flash blended on top. )
Add the eyes and then coat the head back to behind the eyes with softex.
For size reference, this is a 6/0 Teimco hook. When 'tank-tested' the fly keeps it's height profile very well because of the stability of the spreader....

For those that are looking for a way to build large profile flies with out a massive amount of body materials you might want to give this a try

See less See more
#3 ·
Bob,
I've had 2 seasons now of great success in the fall using mini Buffys for Juvi patterns. But, Jared gave me a Juvi one day down at the Rhodeyfest. It was a high tie style with a very nice profile, and it held up under the conditions.
I hung on to it for a looong time. Then one day near the end of this past Oct. I was out at MArblehead getting the last of the migrating stripers and running low on Juvi patterns. I put this high tie on and the stripers went bazerk on it! I mean changing to that fly really made a difference. Alas, it got broken off eventually. Jared has offered to show me that style of tying.
SO it stands to reason that one could do the bigger flys with it.
(Jared, if you're reading this, bring one of those flies to Marlboro to show us (and for me to steal)).

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.