Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hi there, anyone in Davis, CA

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BrianE 
#1 ·
Hello there, my name is Brian and got this site from my flyfishing buddy Arubaman.
At the moment I am in Davis California for an extrenship at the VMTH. I come from Holland and I am quite hooked on Flyfishing.
I took my #5 with me but there is no water anywhere near here unfortunatley, so I was hoping to find someone from this town how I might meet this last two weeks here
Let me know if anyone is out there, would be great to go fishing, it's been 3 weeks since I last had my flyrod in my hands
Tight lines and bedankt!

#2 ·
Hey!

Brian,
Welcome to the Forum! There are numerous opportunitys within striking distance from where you are staying, all you need is a car. If you go south on I-80 then east on rt 12 to Rio Vista, you can get access to Suisun Bay backwater areas. Might take some exploring for good flat water action! You are also close to Lake Berryessa Rec. Area and Napa, Sonoma Creek, and San Pablo Bay, all within 1 hr drive.
2 hrs can put you on the coast at Point Reyes National Seashore, Or go in the other direction on I-80 (east) to Truckee and the Eldorado / Tahoe National Forest!
There are some VERY GOOD fishing spots right around there, you just need to get out and find them!
One point to make, there is heavy spring runoff right now so my bet would be for warmwater species in the lakes and ponds or flatwater tidal areas. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do!

Deerhawk

#3 ·
Huh???

BrianE said:
Hello there, my name is Brian and got this site from my flyfishing buddy Arubaman.
At the moment I am in Davis California for an extrenship at the VMTH. I come from Holland and I am quite hooked on Flyfishing.
I took my #5 with me but there is no water anywhere near here unfortunatley, so I was hoping to find someone from this town how I might meet this last two weeks here
Let me know if anyone is out there, would be great to go fishing, it's been 3 weeks since I last had my flyrod in my hands
Tight lines and bedankt!

Their are no waters near you? Try 10 pound rainbows in putah creek. Try 10 pound rainbow, steelhead, and 30 pound king salmon in the yuba river. Ditto with the lower american and lower feather. The north fork of the feather is a phenomenal fishery. Then their is all the mountain lakes in the sierras/tahoe and rivers, including the truckee.

Are you trolling us?

#6 ·
Brian -

Welcome to the Forum!

It seems to me you are genuinely unaware of the fishing there and if I were you I would be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently the fishing is SO good that Steve is surprised you haven't noticed. I suggest finding a local flyshop and getting the inside scoop on it.

I certainly hope Forum members will pitch in to help you discover what the area has to offer.

Good luck!

#7 ·
juro said:
Brian -

Welcome to the Forum!

It seems to me you are genuinely unaware of the fishing there and if I were you I would be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently the fishing is SO good that Steve is surprised you haven't noticed. I suggest finding a local flyshop and getting the inside scoop on it.

I certainly hope Forum members will pitch in to help you discover what the area has to offer.

Good luck!
Since you think he isnt trolling us:

<non-sponsor links removed>

flyfishers of davis http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/Go/ffd/index.html

http://www.napavalleyflyfishermen.com/images/articles/sweeneysnewsletter.pdf

Do a google search of "american river salmon" " lower sacramento trout"

Davis is within a hour of the lower American which is great for salmon,shad and steelhead, putah creek (READ UP ON MUD SNAILS BEFORE YOU FISH!!), the feather river for salmon, shad, and steelhead, and a couple of hours from the lower sacramento and upper sacramento. All of these are within the top 100 fisheries in the lower 48, IMO

#8 ·
thanks guys for the input, no i actually wasn't pulling your legs, as i told you I arrived at davis for an extrenship and packed my rod in the suitcase but didn't get the chance to do my homework as where to fish. I have no transporttaion except from a bicycle and just wonderd if I could fish around this place. Seems to be excellent around here but i still need a car for that. Maybe i will have memorialday off and can find a place to go to. Thank you for the address of the Davis flyfishers, pitty tat i still have one week left.
Tight lines
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.