Fly Fishing Forum banner

SOUTH MONOMOY ISLAND

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
The prospect of a south island adventure has haunted me for years. Maybe now is the time, maybe not.

On the good side, it's the last reach of firm ground at the cutting edge of two ocean bodies; a hard left turn on the migration routes of ocean stripers on their northward trek. It's a place where a fly caster's reach touches some of the biggest water possible with that gear; and a known hangout for very large fish. Because the offshore sized rips touch the island there, huge migrating cows could pull over into a shoreline eddy from the migratory highway at any given moment - one never knows.

On the bad side, it's not a flats experience at all and some guys are only fishing Saturday. The seals may have squatted on some of the prime real estate, and there is a steep commitment in order to get out there both in terms of money and time. Although there is some "inside" fishing around Powder Hole, the rest is big raging rip and ocean beach style waves to the east. A stiff wind would be deafening. Recent cool weather may have put the fish into a mode of seeking estuaries and shallows for warmth and food. The blues were tight to shore yesterday, and bass to 40" were caught by shoreline pluggers on the sound side indicating a trend for fish to be close inshore. There are risks and limitations on the wading - one should not really wade around the rip any more than they would at Race Point. Lastly, if the fish go offshore into deeper rips we could be in for a slow day.

There's a lot to think about, but it boils down to enjoyment. This is a group charter / investment and so the group should feel excited about this or we should just settle for the standard NM / SB runs on Saturday as well as Sunday.

I'd appreciate it if people would voice their honest feelings on the more expensive excursion to South Monomoy Tip... and whether they would like to cancel that in favor of the standard shuttle arrangement instead.

We'll make a final decision based on this discussion.

thanks in advance,
Juro

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll throw my chip in favor of the NM/SB run over the SI run based on a few factors. 1. I'm pinching pennies, 2. It sounds like NM/SB is more of a "sure" thing, 3. No matter where we go it will be new and an adventure to me though I certainly understand the alure SI holds for those who have done NM/SB before, 4. NM/SB gives me more casting time.

I wasn't going to be doing the SI trip anyway mostly for reasons 1 & 4 so I don't know if my vote should really count. I was a little bummed though that I would miss fishing with most of the "gang" on Saturday.

#3 ·
Juro,

My input is to opt for the exploration of South Monomoy.
We can always do the North Monomoy or South Beach trip
at some other time but rarely do you have the numbers together to fund the expedition to South Monomoy.

I agree that the downside risk is there with the weather and wind, but it's not that pricey if we go as a group and we might discover a real gem of a situation due to the lack of fishing pressure.

I like to explore and I am always looking forward to moving around the next bend in the river to see what lies waiting ahead.
I say let's try it !

Jay C.

#4 ·
As I said this AM, we just need 5 - 6 people who are willing to go. Now it looks like there is quite the group willing to break ground down there. So, if it works out, I'm in.

Unfortunately I do have one caveat, my brother in law Pete is now able to join us and I would really enjoy spending the day with him. So, if there are too many people for the SI trip, I'll bow out & we'll take the 6 AM south beach ride with "The Pope".

Nate... based on the sharks that are supposed to be around, I stole my 4 year old daughters toy seal, it's about 2 feet long, and I've threaded it with a 6/0 circle hook snelled to a 100# wire tippet. If I don't wind up taking the SI boat with you all, I want you to have it and put it to good use.

Roop

G
#5 ·
I've never done Monomoy, so I have to agree with Gregg that NM/SB would be just as much an adventure as SI. I have to admit, Juro's description of the conditions give me pause. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about taking such a risk, but these days I have several reasons for avoiding taking a dirt nap (or water nap in this case).

I also see Jay's point that those who *have* done Monomoy in the past might be looking for something out of the ordinary.

Perhaps the compromise would be to have the beginners (those most likely to get into trouble anyway) avoid this excursion and stick to the other two locations. That would definitely free up at least two spots (myself and GregO) -- probably a lot more.

That would leave you with about 7 or 8 which works out to $37 or $43 per person.

I don't want to speak for Greg, but I would personally bow out to make room for a Monomoy vet.

#6 ·
I agree. It's all new to me. I'll go wherever there's fishing (& hopefully catching!). If a Monomoy Vet wants my spot fine. I'm just looking forward to fishing. I have not SWFF'ed since the Bass River Clave & I've only been out twice on spin. I need ONE FAT COW!

#7 ·
Juro:

As I said this morning on the phone to you, Brad and I are in for wherever the early boat crew is going. I think there are so many factors as we mentioned:

Weather: If the sun is up and bright from 10 to 2, spotting fish on the flats could be succesful (if they are up on the flats). Blind casting in cloudy weather can be extremely tough......

Troughs/Holes: Obviously Blind Casting in these areas is more fruitful depending on tides, sun,etc... and available on N. Monomoy and from what we can tell on SI, also.......

The Fish: The fish on the flats are much more skitterish. Sometimes they are easy to take and other times, 4x fluro would not do it. There are no guarantees at either spot. If they are willing participants, the day could be outstanding at either Island ! The fish at N. Monomoy have seen many clousers, sand eels, etc...The fish at SI, probably have a more limited exposure.....

Flats: The flats at NM are all around. The most expansive ones on SI are a 2 mile hike on the N. end.

Seals: They can get in the way and scare fish away and......well you know the rest......

Other Fishermen: N. Monomoy will have our group in addition to others from Outermost and Rip Ryder. SI will have just our group.

Cost: As folks opt in or out of the SI adventure the cost fluctuates.....what is the cost we are willing to pay to get to SI ?

Equipment: NM requires an Intermediate.........SI requires an Intermediate and a deep sinking line..........

Well, now that I confused the issue more........Juro as I said Brad and I are on the early boat with You where ever it is going......

John

#8 ·
All,
I can only fish Sat due to a previous commitment, and am only day tripping. I was considering South Island but will opt for N Momonoy or South Beach. The reasons being good fishing should be had at ether location. I feel that the risk factor of South Island should really be taken into concideration. North Momonoy can also be perilous if you take chances and don't pay attention.Randy spoke of near death experience well I had one a few years back I put my trust in a want to be guide that put me in a very serious situation. Thank god there was a boat in the area that we hailed to get us out of danger.I am not trying to sway anyone one way or another just relating what happend to me.
John

#9 ·
To John's point (bigcat) the flats of North Monomoy can be treacherous when wading on an incoming tide.

All this concern is very healthy, the problem is most people just klutz their way out there without fear or caution, it's not likely that we would make such a mistake.

Let's ride out the discussion a little longer and make a decision.

#10 ·
I like the adventure aspect of SM but I'm looking forward to sight fishing, sounds like that may be lacking at SM. I'll speak for Rich and Skip too, we're out. Anyone up for a 6am - 2pm NM. I'm up for figuring it out at camp on Friday and calling the capt. Any word on the casting clinic?

#11 ·
Ever see the movie "Never Cry Wolf"?

The best line is when the pilot is trying to fly his little plane through the mountains and it's a squeeze at best. He looks a his passanger and asks him as plain as day," How do you fight boredom"?

Before the bewildered passenger can answer he say's "Adventure"! YAH!

So who'll do a SI death trip Sunday?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.