Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flats Glasses

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bonehead 
#1 ·
I'm about to invest in a pair of Rx Costas for the flats. Any opinions about lens colors. I've been looking at the dark ambers or copper for generally sunny conditions.

Thanks, Charlie

#2 ·
I've been using

the Costa Ballast glasses in amber for flats to offshore and everything in-between and LOVE them. Plenty of contrast and lots of protection in bright conditions but still sufficiently bright for early/late times of day. Looking for a wider frame style, I recently inquired about the copper colored lenses at a trade show and the Costa rep there said that copper would offer slightly more contrast but would be slightly darker too. I decided that I will stay with amber when I purchase my Caballitos.

Glenn

#4 ·
Lens Colors...

Hi,

Probably too late here, but I don't recommend amber lenses, unless you have very dark eyes or like headaches. ;-)

Probable the best for the flats is a copper or bronze color. Amber VLT (visible light transmission) is usually higher than these lenses, so might not be dark enough for bright sunny flats. Copper is darker, but not as dark as most grey lenses.

Speaking of grey, I'd stay well away from this color for shallow water fishing. Grey lenses are neutral---which is why they're often used for polarizing filters by photographers---so they provide no contrast boost to 'fishy' colors. Copper lenses do.

I guide many anglers and have had the frequent experience of having 2 buddies---1 with grey and the other with copper lenses---and the one with grey just can't see the fish. This has happened so many times I can't believe it's coincidence.

Finally, I'd look into the polarchromic lenses, the ones that get lighter or darker depending on the light conditions. These are definitely worth it and allow you to fish earlier and later without having a second pair of glasses.

Tight lines,
Bonehead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.