Fly Fishing Forum banner

Let's talk about Brakes

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
Or should I say Breaks!:confused:

That B.O.A.T. acronym is right on the money, pun intended.

What's the general consensus on Disc vs. Drum trailer brakes for in a saltwater application?

It seems to me the disc version would be easier to work on and more likely to hold up because you can wash them down. The more I read and talk to people about drums the more I lean towards discs. I have those wash out tubes on the ez-loader but the brakes are shot. Even if you wash it down after every trip how many wash out the drums after dumping the boat in the water. Saltwater sitting in the drum baking in the sun all day, I don't even want to think about the rate of rust.

So let's here about your trailer experiences.

Look for Jim rewires his trailer in future post.:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Jim,

Surveyed the crap out of the boat, just glanced at the trailer.

Upon close inspection I have decided to drag it down to Drinkwater and have them replace the hubs as well as service the brakes.

Moral of the story... don't forget to spend time looking at the trailer.

Didn't you say your trailer has the rinse commection for a hose?

I know a lot of the guys in FLA like to bring a pump sprayer and spray down the trailer with soap & water after launching but that seems like OVERKILL to me.

#4 ·
Alright Gregg, that's the spirit. That a sizable boat you're towing (3000+ ?) What are you pulling it with and how far. If I launch at the Plymouth ramp I should be OK but trailering to the cape might not be wise. I've got to replace the bearings anyway, which forces me to take a look at the brakes:rolleyes:

Roop, you can say that again. I don't think those wash hoses on the backing plates are going to do much. The guys in FL may have the right idea, isn't the salinity much higher down there in the warm water?

Just got new tires today, I'll replace the wheel bearings this weekend, weather permitting and take it for a test drive.

I had envisioned more floating and less lying on the ground:hehe:

#6 ·
Tires

Remember to purchase tires with the ST designation (special trailer). These tires have stronger sidewalls and were not available as radials until ten years ago when we the trailering folk still had to use bias tires. If you see those trailers slipping side to side on the road it is usually weak sidewalls on the tires.

#7 ·
There's actually good news for owners of boat trailers-- you can retrofit stainless steel disc brakes onto your own trailer and do most of the work yourself... or that's what a couple of mechanics told me. Haven't done it myself, but I've watched it done, and it seemed relatively easy. You need to be careful that you install a solenoid/switch that allows you to back up, though, as surge-actuated brakes will lock on you.

It's been several years since I did the research, so I don't recall all the particulars, but at the time, there was a kit that made the process fairly easy.

My local marine dealer has the details-- Westside Marine in Port Townsend, WA. 360/385-1488. He's sold and shipped a number of kits to people all over the country.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've removed the drums and backing plates, no easy task:whoa: I decided to go with straight hubs and go without brakes. The boat only has to get a mile or so to the harbor. I'm confident the the suburban will stop the trailer, if it doesn't an H2 should do the trick.:hehe:

If I get into highway towing the trailer is all prepped for the disc kit. 4 bolts, some stainless steel lines, modify the master cylinder, install the reverse lockout solenoid. Do you see why I went with hubs? But at least the tough work is over, saltwater sure does nasty things to nuts and bolts.
After dismantling the surge drum brakes and seeing the hose in the backplate that is supposed to rinse the drums and shoes I can tell you it's a poor design and probably close to useless. It will be discs for sure if I need more braking the the tow vehicle provides.

#9 ·
So anyway. Stopping does not seem to be much of a problem. Going on the other hand :rolleyes: My Jeep has about a year before she enters the 1/4million mile club so it may be time for a vehicle upgrade. I can get it down the street to the water but I don't know about going any distance with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.