Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ready for Eleuthera...(round 2)

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hi gang,

Well, a week and a half to go and my fishing partner and I are off to Eleuthera for 2 1/2 weeks of fishing, sun, Kaliks and the island life. We've boned up (pun intended) on numerous spots that we didn't fish last time and I'm bringing enough flies of just about every size/shape and colour that I've more than likely enough to chum a few. This time I'm also bringing an extra medium wt spinning rod loaded with 12lb line and a tube lure for Cuda's. Saw enough of the toothy critters last time but never got hooked up...they laughed at my size 6 Charlie.

We're really hoping that having the Sea Eagle Kayak along will make a difference in accessing a few remote creeks and backwaters. Perhaps the bones will be larger and less harrassed. It'll be nice to walk a big flat towing the kayak loaded with a few extra rods so we can do a quick switch-up if a big cuda shows up. I'll toss a big fly at it first and if it doesn't eat...I'll have no qualms to show it the tube.

I can't wait to flip the bird at the guard on the causway to Windemere Island in Savannah Sound...second thought...I'll just smile and wave in case he wants to take his sweet revenge on us as we pass under the bridge.

Yum!...I can almost taste those conch fritters now.

Anyone have some last minute thoughts on places to fish or things to do while we're down?

Tight loops folks,

Henry

See less See more
#2 ·
Ooops - that explains the stopover :p

I've been viewing the Windemere Island area by aerial photo and drooling. My recent flight over the Bahamas turned over Andros after almost directly going over Acklins and Long Island. It's interior flats look amazing, your comments about the guards make sense since this is where royalty stays - and your inflatable kayak strategy is brilliant, I will definitely be packing mine on my trip.

The guys who went to Eleuthera a few years back
did well on Spanish Wells, but it sounds like you have things figured out pretty well around Windemere, or will soon.

Good luck and take plenty of pictures!

#3 ·
Hey Juro,

Yeah, it'll be neat to fish a little further into Savannah sound. We've got a few backwater areas in our hip pocket that are inaccessable by foot too...they should prove interesting. We'll be paddling in with a days worth of provisions, probably too many rods, and a soft sided cooler with a lunch and a few beers to toast our victories.

You know, and industrious couple guys would rent two crappy sit-on-top kayaks and pick up a 4x8 sheet of plywood at a local building center to strap on top creating a small pontoon boat for two. One guy poles while the other takes shots. That was my "plan B" if the kayak thing didn't come together.

I will definitely be taking loads of pics. Picked up my new Fuji Digital a couple weeks ago and is it ever sweet. I can even use it to shoot 640x480 VGA video with sound. I'm going down with about 2 gigs of compact flash memory so storage space won't be an issue. I'm going to use the Windows XP Movie Maker software to create a video/still production of our trip as memento's for my bud and I.

Good fishing,

Henry

#4 ·
Don't forget that we'll provide a new fly line of your choice up to $50 for providing a juicy article to add to our Destinations section.

Really look forward to learning more about "freedom" island, it's one of the candidates for an anniversary trip for my better half and I coming up.

#5 ·
Eleuthera

I'll try to give a decent report about the fishing but I'm not going to give specifics regarding exact locations...just generalities...is that okay? Don't forget, when you share on the internet...you share with the world. The good fishing wouldn't last long if I put and "X" on the hot spots. Heck, I've had to do "my" homework.

I don't mind sharing specifics with internet aquaintences via emails or private messages...just not for all to see...not yet anyways.

I'll place my line order in advance...an 11wt WF-F SA Mastery Tarpon series....just kidding...the proof will be in the pudding...sometime after April 4/04.

Always keep the sun and wind at your back,

Hank

#6 ·
I was there maybe 5 years ago and did well in the interior flats around Windemere. We stayed in a rented house farther south and when walking the rocky beach I saw a cuda about 4 feet long - so that afternoon I went to a store and found some wire line. I had a big streamer so went back the next morning and sure enough he was slowing finning around about 20 feet off shore. I put a cast out and gave a strip and he lazily swam over and took it - he just finned around a bit and then he just accelerated the hell out of there!!! I was watching my backing melt - he must have had over 200 yards out when the leader/wire leader connection broke - one of the most memorable experiences I have had!!

Have fun - great place! I would sure love to be able to bring a shot gun over ther and do some dove hunting!!

#7 ·
Eleuthera

Henry,

You're going to have a blast! 2 1/2 weeks is the way to do it. Eleuthera is a great place. I've been to Eleuthera about 10 times. I know the island extremely well from south to north. This year we're headed to South Andros. If you want some info give me a buzz at 973-244-5990, I'd prefer not to list spots on here.

Below is a bone from Eleuthera last year.

Andrew

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.