Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looks like "Willie Gun" is now 'official' on our side of the Pond.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Got the new Hunter's Angling Supplies catalog yesterday and was putting through the 'buy your flys' pages and low and behold the have 'Malcom's Favorite' in both single and tube fly configurations.

Notice the tube is done Malcom style while the single hook version has a bit of blue died goose (or what ever) as a 'throat.'

In the tube flys they also have a couple others that have been written about/how do I tie? The Garry Dog and Sun-Ray Shadow are also appear (pages 42 and 43 for all).
fae

#3 ·
Willie, the single hook version of this (sans throat) has

been very productive for me and others on the upper Rogue. I, and other board members, have hooked a fair number of both Steelhead and Fall Kings with 'versions' of the single hook tie.

I use the 'traditional materials' in mine, others use marabu. Both work!!

"Picky mood tonight." Sitting on your butt all day watching TV will do that to you. You need some 'on River' time. Actually, that's one of the 'good things' about having the Rogue River at your back door. River is open all year round for all practical purposes. May be restrictions on what you can fish for/keep at times of the year/sections of river but you can still fish "from one hour before daylight to one hour after daylight."

Very Cool.
fae

#4 ·
Cabin fever

Fred,
I hate the close season, but the Tay and the Ness opened today and in just under 4 weeks Feb 11 the Spey opens no patients booked that day.

I have tied a few Willie Gunns on singles but I still think they look better on Waddingtons or tubes. { Is it Willies Gunn as in Gins and tonic? perhaps not} Roll on the fishing season before I go madder.

Malcolm

#6 ·
Willy

I must agree, I have been tying, fishing, and selling the WG at Steelhead Anglers for over two years. When I fished in Ireland it was the only fly a Gilly would use. The results on Steelhead have been remarkable. During the low water this year I often used a low water WG tied on a size 7 AJ Steelhead Iron. It was tiny but sank well on a floating line and rocked the Steelies. I also agree that the one in the Hunters catalogue does not look like a WG at all in my limited experience. I am happy to hear what others think of my interpretation.

I am just finishing up a prototype for a Willy Gunn Spey,

It will have a black silk body ribbed with yellow and orange floss. The center of the floss rib will have gold wire. A black Spey hackle will be tied in along the wire. A Golden Pheasant Tippet underwing, dark Bronze Mallard wing, and a topping over all. I think it gets the high points of the pattern without being too yellow or orange.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.