Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mr. Hungry

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
<b>Hmmm.....flyfishermen on the flats...yum..yum..</b>

With the reports of seal munchings, be careful you guys!.

TerryW

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a home video of dozens of orca in a multi-pod gathering off Vancouver Island... I'll have to snag a clip to show you. Anyway, it's not the orca I worry about. They're pretty smart. For instance, although a surfer looks pretty good from below to a shark, it probably just looks like a surfer to a killer whale.

Your joke about black neoprenes had me rolling though!

#4 ·
On a serious note...

We witnessed what appears to be a learned tactic by the seals and their interaction with anglers. When fishing, seals seem to watch for fish to be hooked, then come in to take advantage. Once the fish is released, the seal comes in for the kill as it swims back to deep water.

GregO had a released fish get explosively killed right in front of him. Roop and I had a particularly large horsehead seal follow us around on outer South beach.

Even on the inside shoals, a gray seal circled around us almost close enough to touch in two separate cases to check us out. In my case it popped its head out, didn't like my glaring look and took off like a rocket. I was glad it wasn't the other species that was on the outside.

I suspect the only way to avoid this would be to not fish where seals are staking you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.