Fly Fishing Forum banner

boot foot waders

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  andre 
#1 ·
Ok,

I'm thinking of getting some boot foot waders for the winter fishing to simplify things more than anything else. The questions are which ones? I know Brian has been using his Simms. The question buy the Simms for $$$$ or some cheap neo's and replace them every years/other year. Gimmie some recommendations and links for sales if you gottem.

andre

#2 ·
Andre,
I fish cold water a lot and have been very happy with the Simms bootfoots. Bookoo Bucks I know but you won't have problems. I am especially pleased with the rubber boot foot they have. The convenience is a big plus besides the warmth.

I've heard many good things about the Dan Baileys waders but I don't have any experience with them at all. You might check them out as I think they have a bootfoot model.

pescaphile

#3 ·
Dan Bailey waders

While I haven't bought any bootfoots I have bought 2 pairs of waders from Dan Bailey and have been very happy with the product. Also their customer service is top notch. While making a cast I managed to hook myself in the crotch. (Don't ask) Stupidly I removed the fly without marking the spot. I've looked and looked and can't find the tiny hole now. Bailey's said just send them back and they will repair themin a heartbeat. While I think all their employee's are knowlegable about their products I like Alex the best when dealing with waders.

#5 ·
Dan B's 'summer wt breathables.

While these don't have a built in/on boot I use them (with a couple of exceptions) year-round. Size 10 foot into a size 12 boot with either studs on the bottom or Stream Cleats (S-C's are the best life insurance policy I've ever bought at $50).

As to the summer wt's I just put on additional layers for warmth as the temp's drop. Zero problem with them in the two years of hard useage.

If the booted ones are as good as the summer weights they should be cracker jacks.
fe

#6 ·
I have simms guide wt now that I use for the 3 seasons with either the VBW boots (studded) from pata gucci or Dannners (studded) and SC for the real slick stuff. I have used them the last few winters. These boot foots would be single season (winter) only, to ease the process of quick transition during these shortened winter days. IE before, lunch, and after work without too much cloths changing.

I'll check out the DB's as I really have not been that happy with Simms CS. After a couple of weeks I had some seapage, sent them in and SIMMS repaired them for a $25 fee with attitude. Upon returning they had aqua seal patches "spots" all over the inside. It seems that every 5-7 fishing days they require a once over to keep me completely dry. (I bought them 3 1/2 years ago).

ok, off my rant!

thanks for th DB's recommendation I had not thought of them.

#8 ·
Just noticed the Simms guideweight bootfoot waders are on sale in the winter Sierra Trading Post catalog for $300. They only have camo models with lug soles and don't have all shoe sizes.

These are top quality boots. I have the lug soles and like them a lot. I Wear cleats when necessary with 'em. If you want felts or studded felts you could have them put on (the simms boot will permit this) by a cobbler.

I've also heard about Simms customer service becoming less friendly this past year. I've only dealt with them once (in 97) and they were fine. Might be a good enough reason to go with another brand though if you've had poor service.

pescaphile

#10 ·
I've got the Simms 5mil ExStream boot foot waders and have been happy with them. (except for the price) Before that I used the Cabellas 5 mil boot foot. Great price but not as nice a wader of course. My only real bitch about them was the boot itself was not real heavy duty. Kind of soft and your feet would get pinched in rocks. I finally ended up tearing about a 1/2" hole in the top of the boot and went and got the Simms. In general though, Cabellas waders are great for the price.

#11 ·
Andre

I am very hard on waders, and the simms bootfoots have performed very well for me for four seasons now. the 5 mil are toasty warm in the coldest flows, I use these the most when Iam floating a river in the winter, if I am walking in I go with the gortex simms the neoprene 5 mils just get to hot for doing a lot of trail hopping. I feel they are worth the money now but at first i was very hesitant 350.00 is a lot of cash to shell out. No complaints so far.

Brian

#12 ·
I have quite a few pair of simms , I truly love every pair of them , although I thought the foot was leaking on my Gore-tex pair , they said it wasn't .Had alot of spot's of aqua seal on them when they came back , but after 3 years of abuse ,I feel they have already paid for themselves . I have never had a problem with there service dept. But the Ronny wader's well that is another story , I am glad I do not own a pair of them after seeing what they did to a freind of mine , in the first 2 months of owning them .Fish-Head

#13 · (Edited)
The Bailey's come with a limited lifetime over the counter warranty, the Simms do not.

I own a pair of Simms Guidweights and have been happy with them. I have a couple small leaks...we'll see how Simms customer service reacts to them.

The Bailey's come with built in gravel guards and wading belt and have excellent customer service. I have had to return 3 pairs (customers') and everyone was promtly replaced as I gave the customer's brand new pairs, no questions asked.

I have been a little bit disapointed with Simms customer service but I have been told that there customer service has been changed and early indications show that it has. I sent back a pair of heavily used 3 year old bootfoot guide weights. They repaired the leaks and refelted the soles at no charge.

If you want to go the neoprene route, Simms is discounting all their neoprene. Shops have excellent prices on them right now.

#14 ·
Ryan, do you guys have any good neo simms boot foots on sale? Everything I've found has been stocking foot.

Head, had not heard that about the Ronny's good info

skunk- thanks for the scoop on the Cabelas boots I was looking there, still greats CS.

HL- my thoughts are the same when it comes to walking I'm putting on the goretex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.