|04-26-2003 12:12 PM|
Schoolie action too!
According to the reports, schoolie striper action is thick and fast all the way up to Windor locks and beyond with a few fish in the 28" range
Checked on the tide and it looks like a low at East Haddam at about 4:00 p.m. so we'll be fishing a dropping tide.
Glad we chose tommorow - today's weather sucks! I hope it doesn't cause too much discoloration.
|04-22-2003 08:21 PM|
I'm out . . .
Car problems prevent me from attending this one . Wish I could make it -- should be a blast!
|04-22-2003 08:19 AM|
|John Desjardins||I've got my license and I'm looking forward to it.|
|04-21-2003 01:16 PM|
I thought that we could meet late morning at the same spot as last year.....there are some other spots that might be good, but with the water as high as it is they might be a bit dangerous to get to with the craft we'll be using.
On a down note, my new ride won't be ready in time for Sunday. So that means we have Adrian in his yak, me with the john boat that can hold two people, and possibly Q with his cartopper that can hold two.
Adrian, if you need directions to where we met last year just holler. John and Q, I'll PM them to you.
The shad run is starting up, and they are being caught as far north as Essex. Might make for an interesting mixed bag of sorts.
|04-21-2003 12:18 PM|
O.K., so I got my double dip / double skunk out of the way yesterday and I can look forward to this coming Sunday.
So far the weather looks o.k. - Rain tommorow but not enough at our end of the State to make any difference so, "T minus 6" and counting.
Thoughts on Rendezvous/timimg ?
|04-19-2003 04:49 PM|
Almost down to the 7 days and counting point......
I took a ride up to Cornwall Bridge on the Housie this morning to pick up my licence and soak up a bit of opening day buzz at the fly shop. Didn't take a rod - that's tommorow. I plan to "double dip" ... try for my first striper at the Devon PP on the early outgoing then leg it up to W. Cornwall to catch the afternoon Hendrickson hatch - yeah, well I can always hope
|04-18-2003 09:33 AM|
Need some tips on getting the bosses clearance, PM with any special tips you use. Right now I am working on the honey dew list and saying yes dear a lot.
Next weekend is the big michigan spey clave, I don't think I have mentioned it to her yet either. Oh well after 26 years she knows how to deal with it
P.S. Thanks for the pike reminder, I have to ties some pike flies for a friends trip in June to Canada. Got to put them on the May tying list.
|04-18-2003 08:35 AM|
|John Desjardins||I got the bosses tenative clearance last night, so put me down as a probable.|
|04-14-2003 03:20 PM|
Let's make the plans for a definite day on Sunday the 27th. If anyone can make it for Saturday, you can stay over at my place. We'll occupy ourselves with more fishing prior to the piking on Sunday.
Out of staters.....be sure to have a proper liscense. You can apply for one through the CT DEP at their website (print out form, mail in). Just type "Connecticut DEP" into a search engine and you should have no trouble finding it.
Remember the caveat regarding the weather....we'll play it by ear. If a cold front comes through, the pike may not be worth our while. But there's some bass ponds nearby, TMAs, and the schoolies are showing up on the coast.
Keeping my fingers crossed for steadily warm and stablizing weather (yeah, right ).
|04-14-2003 03:12 PM|
|John Desjardins||Maybe Sunday, I'm way overdue for a day of fishing.|
|04-14-2003 03:05 PM|
Its still in the Diary but not sure if I can do both days - definite for either Saturday or Sunday.
Looking forward to it and I'll finally get a chance to throw some of Roops monster flies from last years swap
|04-06-2003 03:55 PM|
John- Backwaters of the CT River, in just about the geographical center of Connecticut. Interested?
Quentin- We would definitely not be in the main channel of the river. The launch we use is on a main tributary, and the best waters are upstream from there, most within a mile and a half. The currents aren't heavy.
|04-06-2003 10:51 AM|
Wow, only 3 weeks away-- time to get my CT fishing license and tie up some expendable flies!
With the weather the way it's been, this may be the first trip of the season for my boat. It's still in its winter storage spot, and its summer storage spot is still buried under a cruddy, crusty snowbank! I'd like to get the boat out before the pike clave so I can patch any leaks and make sure the motor still runs. BTW, how far is it from the launch to the backwater fishing areas? Are we going to be traveling on the main channel of the river?
|04-06-2003 09:18 AM|
|striblue||Mark...where would this take place???|
|04-06-2003 01:57 AM|
Pike Clave...moving forward
Well, I can't get to sleep so let's get the ball going on our Pike Clave. We decided on the weekend of April 26 and 27, and so far I believe that the only definite attendees are Adrain, Quentin, and myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
I'm gonna try my hardest to get my new ride all legal with the paperwork before the clave so she's available. If not, we still have Adrian's yak and my john boat, and Q has a small boat as well.
Let's see how this shakes out. Pike have been caught in the river recently, but this latest cold snap put them down for a bit. We still have plenty of time for the water to continue warming.
Any input guys?