Fly Fishing Forum - Reply to Topic
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread: What is this called Reply to Thread
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options
Rate Thread
If you like, you can add a score for this thread.

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-12-2003 12:34 PM
Dble Haul Flytyer and Fred- Too funny. :hehe:

John and Juro- Not only would this be a good design for bonito and albies, but I think it would be very good for shad as well. The flies resemble shad darts, and the added flash couldn't hurt.

And yes, fishing reports will be here soon enough.
04-12-2003 07:41 AM
John Desjardins FT, thanks for the history. I hadn't seen anything like this before.

I'm glad that there should be fishing reports soon. I don't know how much longer we can tapdance around these topics before we cross over the line.
04-12-2003 06:21 AM
Ahhhh, another 'thread' going down hill.

"First we have Sinktip telling us about OC's fly called the Bisexual (not to mention the other colorful flies of OC's Sinktip also told us about), now you are naming a fly the Lapdancing Bugger! Perhaps it is a good thing that we wear chest or waist high protection when wading the river."

I'd recommend you put on your neopm's when you tie these up; afterall what are chest wader? Just over sized profolacic's (sp?)
04-12-2003 12:53 AM
flytyer John,

I've seen this fly design about 8 or 9 years ago. It was used in Alaska for Pacific Salmon. I don't recall the name of it though. It is a very common practice for tyers in Alaska to use mylar tubing that is shredded after tying it in to add flash to a fly. It is very easy to tie it in, and many of the Alaskan patterns are tied or were originated by folks who do not have anything more than basic tying skills.

Dble Haul,

First we have Sinktip telling us about OC's fly called the Bisexual (not to mention the other colorful flies of OC's Sinktip also told us about), now you are naming a fly the Lapdancing Bugger! Perhaps it is a good thing that we wear chest or waist high protection when wading the river.

I can see it now, the Capitol Hill Boys will do a double take when they see the Seattle Times reporting that the Lapdancing Bugger has been the "hot one" lately.
04-11-2003 08:01 AM
John Desjardins Bonito/Albie patterns from salmon patterns, a good example of the cross fertilization that occurs with the web and creative fishermen.
04-10-2003 06:53 PM
juro Nrthfk showed me a pattern using the exact same unravelled bodybraid design, it was just deadly on the ocean feeding coho off the Olympic peninsula a couple of autumns ago.

Thanks for the reminder, I will have to apply this technique to bonito / albie patterns this fall.
04-10-2003 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Dble Haul
.....maybe call it the Lapdancing Bugger?
That's much better than "Woolly Lapdancer."

04-10-2003 08:32 AM
Dble Haul Looks like a half naked wooly bugger dressed to impress (no palmered hackle with sparkle).....maybe call it the Lapdancing Bugger?
04-10-2003 08:30 AM
John Desjardins Q, Chris I'd put the recipe down as:

Hook: #4 4Xlong streamer hook
Thread: whatever you feel like
Tail: maribou
Body: Chenile to match tail
collar/wing: Holographic mylar tubing tied ~ 1 hook gape longer than hook, then frayed apart.

So far it hasn't caught any fish, but I thought someone here would know the name.
04-10-2003 06:13 AM
Re: What is this called

Originally posted by John Desjardins
...So what is it called?
I'd call it "bound to cath fish". Seriously, I have never seen that pattern, appears to be a variation of a bugger. I would imagine that smaller versions of that pattern would be great on practically any freshwater game species, as well as some of the near-shore marine species such as reds, (sea) trout, and small tarpon. I'll have to tie a few of those up this weekend!
After what I've been tying recently, the chance to tie something that takes less than 5 minutes per fly is welcome!
04-09-2003 10:10 PM
Quentin Unbelievable. Just today I was thinking about a pattern that would look something like an in-line spinner, and I thought that tying a collar of flashabou around a bulky body might do the trick. Those flies look very much like what I had in mind, although it looks like they use unraveled mylar braid rather than flashabou. I'd be tempted to call them a Mepp's fly but I'd be worried about a possible trademark infringement claim

04-09-2003 02:52 PM
John Desjardins Doing good today, I forgot to attach this:
04-09-2003 02:50 PM
John Desjardins
What is this called

I picked these flys up in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I've been using the red one looking for pike when I get a moment or 2 to stop & fish between the snowflakes. Its an interesting & simple design that has a pretty good pulsating action when stripped. So what is it called?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright (All Rights Reserved)