|08-07-2002 09:50 AM|
|Dble Haul||That's a clever combination of foam and deer hair....it also looks substantial enough that a pike might take interest. Very creative!|
|08-07-2002 07:22 AM|
Nice fly. Definitely a winner in my book. I just love the "action shot" of the fly in the water too.
Freshwater bass will constitute most of my summer fishing (but not the fall!) and I may tie up a few of these flies. I have a stellar largemouth pond near where I work in NH and this would be just the ticket for coaxing biguns out of the partially submerged bushes that ring the shoreline. I have had many a sleigh ride while fishing from my float tube in this pond.
|08-06-2002 09:22 PM|
AWESOME BASS BUG!
That makes me feel like hitting the lilly pads again. I've had some tremendous fun working bugs for bigmouths and it's been a long time. I stopped by a pond near the office at lunch recently and found some really nice largemouth bass cruising the beach shallows on the sand, kinda like a mini-monomoy. It would be a kick to chase these guys on the bugrod some morning before work. This would be a great fly to do it with!
|08-06-2002 08:10 PM|
Foam & Deer Hair Frog Slider
I wanted to tie a big, floating weedless fly to fish the slop for largemouths. A deer hair bug would be the obvious choice, but I can't seem to spin deer hair tight enough to make it as bouyant as I want. I decided to try a foam popper body, mounted backwards, with deer hair behind it to bulk it up a little. Here's what I came up with:
Hook: 3/0 bass bug hook
Thread: heavy white monocord
Tail (legs): olive hackles (I'll tie on rubber legs when these break off)
Body: deer hair, olive over white
Weed Guard: white super hair, tied near hook eye and angled back toward hook point.
Head: white styrofoam popper (Orvis #2), reversed, with top half colored olive
Eyes: stick-on (or paint/marker)
I tied all the materials onto the hook and then superglued the popper in place. I had to widen and deepen the slot to make it fit properly. The weedguard fits inside the slot. After the glue dried, I trimmed the deer hair a little (I may trim it some more), colored the top half of the popper, stuck on the eyes and gave the popper a coat of Softex. I also put softex on the weedguard to make it stiffer but still flexible.
It casts easily on the 9wt, floats well and makes a nice "sploosh" and wake on the retrieve. It hasn't fooled any fish yet but I only gave it a brief test.