|02-25-2000 12:24 AM|
RE:Bob and Terry's Y2K YAK Patterns?
|02-24-2000 12:51 PM|
Terry's Y2K YAK Patterns?
Here's the recipe for my Big Yak Herring pattern.
1. Cut 1/2 to 3/4" long piece of med. size ezbody.
2. Weave onto hook point on one side with just a few poke throughs on the ezbody fibers. This will help later on to anchor the body on one side and put most of the spreading action on the top side so as to not obscure the hook point. Now slide the ezbody up to the hook shank and pin it out of the way with an aligator clip or something.
3. Tie in white bucktail near the back of shankbefore the bend just like on a deceiver.
4.Slide EZbody back till back end of it just covers Bucktail wrap. Tie down back and knot it off and cut thread.
5. Now we move to the front of the hook. Slide ezbody (front) back from the eye and anchor with aligator clip to get it out of the way (it should be bunched up good at that point on the top only). Start thread at eye and wrap down to ezbody and back a little. Release ezbody and tie down good LEAVING 1/3" BETWEEN EZBODY FRONT AND HOOK EYE.
6. Take a small clump of Yak hair approx. 10" long. Fold in half and make a small mark at the exact middle with a pen. Lay the Yak hair on the undetrside of hook with the pen mark just in front of the EZbody on the underside. Make about 4 wraps around the middle of the hair and then fold back and wrap down fold so it's not too bulkie. This fold over keeps the materials from falling off because Yak Hair slides out easily.
7. Next I add some short Polar Fiber to each side to fill in the side a bit.
8. Now add your red gill effect to the side. I've been expirimenting with 1/8" mylar at a 45 dergree angle to get a more vertical gill.
9. Now the top. Tie in some more White or Natural Yak hair using fold method. Then I mix about 5-10 strands Polar flash
with Blue Yak Hair (folded) and tie on top.
10. Top with usual Peacock Herl. Finish nose with thread, glue on large prizmatic eye, epoxy head.
|02-23-2000 10:04 PM|
Bob and Terry's Y2K YAK Patterns?
Bob & Terry,
I want to copy those flies you gave me but am unsure of the sequence.
It looks like tail, body(crystal pearl chenille)...then what?
Throat(bottom)white yak/BT and finish the top or is it the other way around?
I should have paid better attention.