Fly Fishing Forum - Reply to Topic
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread: Rip Trip - October 3 Reply to Thread
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options
Rate Thread
If you like, you can add a score for this thread.

Topic Review (Newest First)
10-06-2009 11:01 PM
juro We saw some large, but only landed schoolies to the west. Schoolies and snapper blues on the south side on the afternoon tide as well.

Mmmm the oysters and littlenecks were good though!
10-06-2009 04:31 PM
jimS Fred, Craig and I got into fish during the incoming at the the juncture of the two creeks. I think later they made a u-turn and headed back out. Wind and horizontal rain made it a lot of fun. I think Juro and a couple of other guys were down in your area. Todd linked up with us later and continued fishing the flood at the creek. After we left, and I returned to let the dog out, I got to thinking about Todd out there on the flood. Drove back to see if he was ok, but his truck was gone. He was in a relatively flat area, so no drama walking back, but the tide was honking.

My fall season is done. It was certainly inversely proportional to May/June. I'm starting to get concerned about the dearth of small fish. There has not been a good year for yoy this century in the Chesepeake. While the Hudson has been very good, it doesn't have the mass.
10-06-2009 07:02 AM
FredA I think I saw you guys a 100 yards to the east milking the flood (up to your arm pits). Dead to the west of you. Sunday am lot's of bait flying being chased by 5" snappers. Took a few casts in the creek and picked up one small/sub keeper. First friggen fish in a month (albeit I haven't fished much). Much more pleasant out there sunday than it was sat.

I had a feeling I'd find you guy's at Grumpy's if I had checked but it was the wifes birthday and I needed to get home and be nice..
10-03-2009 06:46 PM
vtloon Kudos to you John for keep trying though. maybe next year . . . .

Agree with Kudos. The math is simple: Chances of going if we keep trying...X%; Chances of not going if we don't keep trying..100%.

Not going today was a good call. Yesterday off Nauset the new southerly had 3 ft & building by 2:30 in the afternoon. This morning on the cape-side flats I had 12 to 15 kts. at my back & rain. Jim S & Craig had connected on the last of the drop. I got there an hour late, but a little later got two nice fish coming onto the flats with the rise. The incoming chased me off with 3" of wader top to spare. I waited a little bit to fish the eel grass edges, but then the Lightning that point a Spanish Omelet at Grumpy's seemed like a real good idea.
10-03-2009 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by zimmjas
Damn, I think it was this way last year too.
I think you're right. we seem to be getting calm weekdays and windy weekends

Kudos to you John for keep trying though. maybe next year . . . .
10-02-2009 08:27 PM
striblue Thanks for that Pic Pete, That was from our overnight stay at the light House.... and I think the guy in the pic is me walking back. I will save that pic. I would thaink that next year with the potential of the light house opening.... and scheduling these trips in the summer DURING the week instead of just focusing on weekends we will be able to pull even more than a couple. The one we got off this year was mid week for a group of guys who were on the Cape for a full week. So we should be able to get numbers with all the vacations taken during the summer and pic a week and go the best day...that is what I will be looking at. We will not ignore weekends , we just need to work the days around them as well.
10-02-2009 07:42 PM
RIP... [rest in peace]...


If we leave the causeway at 0700 on foot, 'ought to be at the tip around 1130...
'fish the rip for a few hours then head on back [wind and rain at our 6 o'clock] arriving at the causeway around 1730...That's the ticket...
Or maybe we should just sleep in!?

Good effort Brother John...Thanks Capt Keith...
holdin' out for the Bear's Den fandango...
10-02-2009 05:58 PM
zimmjas Damn, I think it was this way last year too.
10-02-2009 09:48 AM
Rip Ryder
Rip Trip Cancelled

NOAA 1015am report is for heavy rain and possible thunderstorms with SE winds increasing 15-20 and gust to 30. Same report from the Boston TV channels, so the one time they all agree, Im gonna guess they may actually get it right.

Tis been the story of the season this year.
10-02-2009 06:14 AM
striblue As of this morning my plan is not to drive down to Chatham tonight since the weather looks bad. So, I will leave it to Jim if he feels he can get more updates later...I am sorry I will not plan on being there unless I hear that we are going from Jim later...if he is able to intercede here. Keith will not go out in a heavy rain and possible T-storms anyway. Here is the NOAA report I pulled this morning for coastal CC.


See you guys next spring where I hope to start looking at this trip in May 2010... also hopefully the South Monomoy Light house will be available for overnights.
09-30-2009 02:33 PM
vtloon Going for Tuna on Fri, so I'll be there on Sat, although the winds don't look encouraging.
09-30-2009 02:07 PM
highway61 John,

If the weather prevents a rip trip this weekend is it possible for Keith to drop us off on the northwest side of South Monomoy? If the wind is out of the southeast, as it is forecasted, we would have the wind at our back.

09-29-2009 04:21 PM
jimS Wind Finder, an internet site I find useful, predicts up to 24 knots out of the south/southeast on Saturday. This is for Chatham.
09-29-2009 12:04 PM
flydoc As usual, it will be up to Keith to make the call based on his sources and his uncanny weather intuition. I've got my Orvis rain jacket if it turns out wet but not too windy.
09-29-2009 11:04 AM
striblue I think we will get the numbers...but NOAA tells me that, for now, Saturday looks like chance of rain...and, winds predicted to be SE, 20 to 25 kt....seas 2 to 4.....this is the Nantucket Sound forcast.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright (All Rights Reserved)