|05-14-2008 07:44 PM|
|05-14-2008 02:11 PM|
I subscribe to the Norse fatalistic view that the weather will be what it will be.
If I was an out-of-towner I'd probably head to Chatham - either the Causeway or Hardings Beach - the beach is the easier launch so if you are new to getting your stuff from the truck to the sand you'll probably find that more relaxing - its also an easier paddle to N. Monomoy. The Causeway you can either launch in the Tub or Stage - but you will have to carry your yak a fair distance which can be a problem especially if have a peddle boat - and especially if you got the peddles because your arms are weak. Its about 500' to the tub maybe double that to Stage.
If the wind is very bad but you still want to yak it, Bass river at High bank Rd or Herring River at 28 both have nice launches.
Another option is Pleasant Bay - it used to be great but last year the seals really set up in it and some moron - most likely a New Yorker - started feeding them. So minutes after paddling out you would be mobbed by 30-50 800lb animals that were acting like Golden retrievers - I doubt they were dangerous but definitely uncomfortable and not the best way to fish. Last year the further from Chatham the seal deal was more manageable. But now with the new cut established and the Chatham harbor silting in - I don't know.
There are other launches but Al Gore will be a 150# libertarian before I give those to anyone.
|05-12-2008 07:54 PM|
I subscribe to the Capt'n Keith weather forecast model. If the NWS/Noaa says 10 to 15 knot winds out of the south, add the two together and prepare for a N'oreaster.
I am going to bring my Yak & play it by ear as far as the weather goes. Be prepared for anything is the best course of action.
G series there is no formal plans I am aware of for a forum navel exercise. However I plan on searching out some Launch sites just in case.
|05-12-2008 06:11 PM|
I have not decided whether to bring mine or not. Brought mine last year and was mainly used as a rain catcher with the crazy weather we had on Friday.
Wind forecasts on the cape seem to always be a little on the optimistic side of things so I may opt for the beach. We should have a better gage on things in the next couple days though...
|05-12-2008 05:14 PM|
Long-range forecast looks like it will be rainy, and moderately windy.
"Moderately" means different things to different people.
|05-12-2008 11:03 AM|
There will be a few guys with Yaks at the clave but nothing firm at this point.
Deciding on where / when will probably be a last minute thing determined mostly by weather, particularly, wind strength, direction and tides.
I'll be around Thursday afternoon / evening and will head to the Chatham Squier. I'll be wearing a FlyfishingForum cap and probably drinking a Gin & Tonic
|05-12-2008 09:16 AM|
Are any of the kayakers planning to get together this weekend? If so...room for two more? Couple of new yakers heading down and looking for guidance.