I "NEEDED" another rod! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I "NEEDED" another rod!

striblue
02-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Well, It hit me again... same thing each year... that feeling of deprivation, depression, saddness... so what to do, what to do? I went out and bought another Fly rod, that's what. a Sage RPLXi 10 wt... I "needed" it I told myself....

bcasey
02-26-2003, 07:40 PM
That's most likely the same "NEED" I have for a Tibor reel!
Hummm, what to do, what to do?:devil:

Dble Haul
02-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Hey, if you've got an itch, scratch it. :D

FishHawk
02-27-2003, 04:54 AM
When things around me are difficult the only thing that keeps me sane is that I know I can go fishing. John you did need that rod. FishHawk

BigDave
02-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Two things you can never have enough of in life:

1. Golf Clubs
2. Fly Rods

What's the length of the rod, Stri? 9 footer? I've been thinking about a big 2-hander to boom out the long surf casts. Would like to learn how to build one but don't have the time these days...

striblue
02-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Dave, it's a 9 footer... and I like my 8 wt RPLXi.... the action will fit well between my T &T horizon 10 wt and Scott eclips 10 wt.

Roop
02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
John, my gear-mentor and sage of sound advice, one to whom I look up to and admire.....

If one rod is added, does another need to find a new home?:D

Feel free to let me know.

Humbly yours,

Roop

Nick
02-27-2003, 11:15 AM
What about something to hold line on the rod? You can't be putting a "used" reel on a brand new gem like that!! :tsk_tsk:

Nick:razz:

striblue
02-27-2003, 01:57 PM
My head is spinning..... yes.... yes....Nick.... That would make complete logical sense... I mean why change reels to rods.... why not have each rod matched with a reel.... I mean ..what am I stupid or something! Obviously I NEED a reel to go with the rod.... I should have thought of that my self....Thanks Nick for shaking some sense into me....

BigDave
02-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Dont forget the extra spools and lines :D

Nick
02-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Now the next problem is what is going to work best...
You've got to match your Floorvis Flats Shirt, the Bluderline, and the RPLXi in some style. I'm assuming there will be no problem getting the Invisible Waders to go along as well!

Nick

Dble Haul
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
John, you'll also need a fishing partner for that first trip out using the new toy......just someone to confirm how well it fishes. And if this witness gets some fishing in too, then so much the better. :p

steelheadmike
02-27-2003, 03:19 PM
I would have to say that new 10wy needs a Van Stall to keep it company.

Roop
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Oooooooohhhh.....

Smitty has some very SEXXXXXXXXXXy Abels in his shop.... :cool:

If you're heading down let me know & I'll buy you a cup of coffee

steelheadmike
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
I would say I need spelling lessons. :hehe:

ashley
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
And with a new rod always buy a new reel and on the first outing take someone with you for a 2nd opinion on how it performs.
Me thinks I NEED a new rod,then a reel.....

pmflyfisher
02-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Congratulations,

I know I don't need one, but I want one, as discussed in
another thread.

We will see, the rod I am interested is expensive and is an
unproven niche type spey rod.

Would be very difficult to explain to my wife.

PM Out

striblue
02-27-2003, 06:29 PM
I've said this before...but remember Hal, always deal in cash!,, leave no record and save ...say... $25 a paycheck, in cash... and before you know it you have saved up for the rod, in cash, no "evidence":devil:

Doc Duprey
02-27-2003, 07:32 PM
...or, have a wife that likes to flyfish as much as you do!:devil:

Best regards,

-Doc

flyfisha1
02-28-2003, 06:30 AM
I "need" a new rod myself, since I got that Redington AL 11/12 from Sinktip for $70. I was thinking that building a 12-wt. St. Croix with an SCIV blank would be the way to go. Certainly can't allow the reel to sit and collect dust on my bench; it needs a new "home"... along with some new backing and a new Monic tropical clear line.
I also "need" to stockpile as much fishing stuff as possible this year, since next year we're planning on starting a family and I know I'm not likely to have the cash sitting around again for the next twenty years!

John Desjardins
02-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by flyfisha1
I also "need" to stockpile as much fishing stuff as possible this year, since next year we're planning on starting a family and I know I'm not likely to have the cash sitting around again for the next twenty years!

Start with a boat. Its how I wish I did it . ;)

pmflyfisher
02-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Lets see $ 20 saved a week, (that will take away from my twice monthly fly shop material purchases though :whoa: ) in 40 weeks or 10 months, I could have $ 800 in cash under the spousal radar screen for the purchase of the rod and spey line.

Or I can go high risk and pull out the "Green Gun" (AMEX card) and just go for it. :confused: :confused:

PM Out

kush
02-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Anyone who visits the CAC can plainly see that you are on the Tackle Welfare List. Maybe we should all chip in so you can get a decent outfit for this spring :eyecrazy:

John Desjardins
02-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Kush thats a nice picture. I do see one piece of equipment thats missing. A vertical rod holder mounted on a center console. :devil:

DFix
02-28-2003, 10:41 AM
in order of descending importance.

Needs dictionary and thesaurus, social secretary and spelcheker :whoa:
Doesn't need boat; has friends who beg him to go with them.
Doesn't need liberal minded sympathies regarding weathered, slightly used, premium grade tackle.
Needs affirmation and support.
Needs excuse.
:smokin: ;)

pmflyfisher
02-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Kush,

Thanks, I feel better now, it is now clear to me there are others that need psychosomatic fly fishing counseling before I do.

PM Out

FredA
02-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Geez, 25 replies and 300+ reads for a guy we all know can't pass a retail flyfishing store without dropping a wad of cash.

Say John, when selecting the days weapon of choice and fishing apparel do you dress to match the rod or do you select the rod to coordinate with your outfit?

flyfisha1
02-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kush
Anyone who visits the CAC can plainly see that you are on the Tackle Welfare List. Maybe we should all chip in so can get a decent outfit for this spring :eyecrazy:

Yikes! Nice arsenal of rods and reels there, John! I can use that photo as justification to Heather about the stuff I'm silently amassing... "Honey, if you think I have a lot of rods, just have a look at this!":hehe:
Seriously, that's a very impressive collection, and I don't doubt that one day I'll have that many outfits. It's only a matter of time... Hmmm, new idea for a poll...

striblue
02-28-2003, 12:41 PM
OUCH!!!!!!... I asked for it... I will just bow out slowly.... and disapear...I think.....for now.....

OC
02-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Kush,

What a great picture I can imagine striblues special room a part of Edward Hoppers painting, "House with Big Pine in Eastham."

Striblue,

Besides being with your family and your actual fishing with friends that room must be your favorite place just to hang out. Is that room where you tie your flies also?

The gear, multitudes of $1000's but the space, priceless.

Makes me home sick.

May the smell of herring come soon to the cape.
OC

jfbasser
02-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Right, disappear in those new Invisible Waders! Fred A, if John uses his invisible waders then he does not have to color coordinate.

DFix
02-28-2003, 03:23 PM
The following post, quoted in it's entirety, is extracted from a resurrected thread on:

How many fly rods do you own?

This is Striblue's reply to said post, logged at 10:42 p.m. GMT, 10/15/2001.

I suspect this shall cause unrelenting retaliation from the Twenty-Ninth Degree Worshipful Master of the Gearheads; however, it warrants repeating.

(Striblue's reply)
Cane Rods..1)FE Thomas
2) Orvis Battenkill
3) Abie and Imbrie
4) Leonard
Others :5) Winston 3 wt
6) Orvis PM 4 wt
7) Sage 5 WT
8) Orvis Far and Fine 5 Wt
9) Loomis X something 6 wt
10) T & T vector 7 wt.
11) Scott Eclips 7 wt
12) Sage RPLXi 8 wt.
13) Orvis TR Mid flex 8 wt.
14) Sage SP Durascrim 9 wt
15) Winston BL-5 9 wt
16) Winston XTR 9 wt
17) Scott Eclips 10 wt
18) T & T Horizon 10 wt
19) Winston XTR 12 wt.
Reels to go with each one... Hardies(Perfect,Marquese,fly wt.) Orvis CFO's, Abels (5 of them - from Super 10 to 8n), Tibor, Islander, Two Pates, Penn international .. I need MORE though.

I rest my case. :razz:

striblue
02-28-2003, 03:29 PM
You forgot the Abel super 11 camo... and it does not matter ...because your a dead man , Fix.....:smokin:

Jimmy
02-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Now boys. Fight fair.:devil:

John Desjardins
02-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Utt oh here comes the super soakers.

DFix
02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
a Venerable Advisory Council Member, who shall remain nameless for the moment, to not allow you to intimidate me in any way.

MAX D 6000 ! :smokin:

striblue
02-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Ah...your first faux pas.... you admit that I can intimidate you then.HhhAAA...HHHHAAAA....HHHHAAAAA! Which reminds me.... has the "artist" completed his shrimp fly swap yet, or does the artist choose to make a statement and be the last to submit AGAIN?...I know "the Artist" choses his time and place to submit his flies ...but lets see if we can get them in..... By the way I love you new name change Dave.... Dave's new name... "The Artist, formerly known as Fix".

DFix
02-28-2003, 03:46 PM
(follow along, John - the other thread is active, too :whoa: )

btw- you really mistook any mention of possibility of intimidation.

MAX D 6000!!!

striblue
02-28-2003, 11:05 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about...... get the shrimp in on time!.... and you might as well tie them with your little balls too!:D

Roop
03-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Once again I need to say that I thing Striblue & Fix should duke it out.

I'll hold the fly rods.

Whoever is left standing just needs to track me down to recover their gear;)

DFix
03-03-2003, 09:18 AM
We have 'Seconds' to keep an eye on you while we're figuring out what we're gonna do next -

(Bad part of that is they'd probably help ya hide :eyecrazy: :whoa: :rolleyes: )